Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

B.S. in Actuarial Science

Otterbein University Course Catalogs

2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Apr 20, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Calendar Graduation
Calendar Applying for a Degree
Academic Standing  
Credit Hour Definition Grievance Procedure
Class Standing Academic Hearing Board
Academic Probation/Suspension/Dismissal  
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Honors Progam/Recognition
  Distinction Program
Academic Support University Honors Program
Academic Advising Dean’s List
Academic Support Center/Disability Services Latin Honors at Graduation
Center for Career and Professional Development Departmental Honors at Graduation
Center for Student Success  
Courtright Memorial Library Prior Learning Assessment
  Transfer Credit Policy
Degree Policies Advanced Placement (AP)
Adding to a Degree Already Awarded International Baccalaureate (IB)
Earning a Second Bachelor’s Degree College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Double Major and Dual Degrees Credit by Otterbein Academic Dept. Exam
Individualized Major  
Individualized Minor Registration Policies
Residency Requirement Add or Drop Classes
  Change of Catalog Year
FERPA Course Load/Overload
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Cross Registration
  Graduate Courses Taken by Undergrad Students
Grading System Independent Study & Internship
Grade Marks Registration Timetable and Priority
Grade Discrepancies/Changes Repeating Courses
Transcript of Academic Work Withdrawal from All Classes


Otterbein University operates on a semester basis. Refer to the on-line calendar for further calendar information.


Academic Standing and Satisfactory Academic Progress are ways of measuring a student’s successful completion of coursework toward a degree at Otterbein University.

Credit Hour Definition

In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission’s Policy FDCR.A.10.020 and as an institution participating in Title IV federal financial aid, Otterbein University’s assignment of credit hours conforms to the federally mandated definition of the credit hour, which can be found on the HLC website.

A statement with a more specific definition in compliance with the Department of Higher Education can be found on the ODHE website.

Class Standing

Class standing is based on total semester hours earned.

Semester Hours Earned Class Standing
Less than 30 Freshman
30-59 Sophomore
60-89 Junior
90+ Senior

Academic Probation/Suspension/Dismissal

Academic Probation
An undergraduate student is placed on academic probation at the end of any semester or summer term in which his or her cumulative GPA is lower than 2.0.  If a student on academic probation earns a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, the student is removed from academic probation.

Continued on Academic Probation
An undergraduate student who is on academic probation and earns a semester GPA of 2.0 or better, but has a cumulative GPA lower than 2.0, is continued on academic probation.  If a student on continued academic probation earns a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, the student is removed from academic probation.

Academic Suspension
An undergraduate student who is on academic probation and earns a semester or summer GPA lower than 2.0 will be suspended. First-time suspension is one semester; second-time suspension is one year. Once the suspension timeframe has been completed, readmission is through completion of an Academic Success Plan with the Assistant Dean for Student Success.

Academic Dismissal
A third academic suspension constitutes an academic dismissal. The dismissal is for 5 calendar years.

Undergraduate Academic Standing is managed by the Center for Student Success (614-823-1624).

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained in order to remain eligible for Federal Aid consideration. The Office of Student Financial Services evaluates SAP after the completion of each academic period (summer, fall, and spring). All terms of enrollment, including summer, must be considered in the determination of SAP (even periods in which the student did not receive federal student aid funds must be counted).  Qualitative measures (GPA and PACE) and quantitative measures (maximum time frame) are evaluated.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree is determined by three tests:
1. Academic Standing, the appropriate GPA based upon credit hours as outlined above;
2. An undergraduate student’s successful completion of credit hours attempted (PACE); and
3. The completion of one’s degree within a reasonable time period.

PACE - Credit Hours Attempted versus Hours Earned: To maintain eligibility for federal student financial assistance, a student must successfully complete two-thirds (67%) of the credit hours attempted.  Pace is defined as total hours completed divided by total hours attempted.  Any course with a grade of “F” (failing), “W” (withdrawal), or “IP” (in progress) on the student’s academic transcript is considered an unsuccessful completion of hours attempted. Once the “IP” has been completed, the grade will stand as either successful or unsuccessful completion as mandated by the Federal Government.

Degree Completion Timeframe: In addition to completing two-thirds of the credit hours attempted, a student must also complete his/her academic program within a reasonable timeframe, not to exceed 150% of the published length of the program-a student must meet all graduation requirements by the time the 180th credit hour has been attempted. All periods of attendance are counted towards the maximum timeframe.

Since Academic Standing and SAP are interrelated, a student may meet an adequate Academic Standing level (higher than a 2.0 cumulative GPA, for example), but not meet SAP standards. If the student has not successfully completed enough classes (those classes with a “D” or above on the academic transcript) to meet the two-thirds (67%) earned hour rate, he or she would not be making SAP for federal financial aid purposes.

Re-establishing eligibility for students failing Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP):  The first time a student fails Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) they will be placed on a “warning status.”  A student on warning status may receive one term of financial aid.  If a student on warning fails to achieve SAP, they may submit an appeal. Student failing SAP may be required to submit a written plan signed off by a member of the Center for Student Success. The SAP Appeal form may be used for this purpose and is available in the Office of Student Financial Services or through the website in the forms section. SAP is administered by the Office of Student Financial Services (614-823-1502).


Academic Advising

Prior to enrolling at Otterbein, students are assigned academic advisors. The advising process is an ongoing series of consultations between the student and the advisor. Advising involves both the development and communication of accurate information regarding degree programs, courses, resources, academic policies/procedures, and career opportunities intended to help students in achieving their educational goals. Both the advisee and the advisor share the responsibility of being active participants in the advising process. However, the student is responsible for making decisions regarding personal and educational goals and satisfying all graduation requirements. If a student would like to change their academic advisor, they can visit the Office of the Registrar.

Academic Support Center / Disability Services

Through individual instruction and collaborative learning, the Academic Support Center (ASC) helps students develop and strengthen the skills necessary to attain their academic goals. All ASC services are free of charge for Otterbein students. The ASC offers courses in Learning Strategies for College Success and Writing Workshops (both by placement only); coordinates course-specific academic support via Content Area Tutoring, the Math Lab, the Writing Center, and Supplemental Instruction; provides academic counseling related to learning, time management, organization, and study strategies; supports English Language Learners through Conversation Tables; and, hires, trains, and supervises peer tutors who possess strong content knowledge, study strategies, and communication skills.

The ASC serves a wide range of students: students struggling academically, students in need of accommodations, and high-achieving students wanting to learn more effectively. Students are encouraged to contact the ASC if they have concerns related to their learning, academic progress, or course work.

The ASC also coordinates the University’s Disability Services Program. Disability Services works closely with qualified students with disabilities to ensure they have equal access to an education and campus life. They also provide classroom accommodations, such as testing accommodations, note-taking assistance, and alternative media, to students with documented disabilities including learning disabilities, ADHD, physical disabilities, medical disorders, visual and hearing impairments, psychiatric disorders, and temporary diagnoses. They provide student access through services, accommodations, and advocacy, as specified in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.

Disability Services is located on the second floor of Courtright Memorial Library, Room 229, and is part of the Academic Support Center. In order to receive accommodations, students must provide ODS with appropriate documentation. All services are free of charge for Otterbein students. For documentation guidelines or additional information, please contact a member of the staff at 614.823.1610 or visit their website.

Center for Career and Professional Development

The Center for Career and Professional Development offers resources and services including academic and career exploration, job and internship search skill-building, and assistance with resumes, cover letters, and practice interviews. Contact the Center for Career and Professional Development at 614-823-1456,, or visit them online.

Center for Student Success

The Center for Student Success (CSS) serves as a resource center for students at Otterbein. They offer supplemental academic advising, support the First Year Experience program, and refer students to different campus offices for further assistance. The goal of the CSS is to help students by serving as an advocate and removing barriers for success. The CSS also coordinates support for students who are undecided in their major or are considering switching majors. Additionally, the office supports study abroad programs and students interested in studying off-campus.  The Center for Student Success is located at 172 W. Main Street. More information about the Center for Student Success can be found here or by calling 614-823-1624.

Courtright Memorial Library

The Mission of the Courtright Memorial Library is to actively engage in and contribute to the teaching, learning, and research needs of the entire Otterbein community. As intellectual partners in the quest for knowledge, the library staff provides access to information, develops a diverse collection, and nurtures critical thinking skills to develop self-sufficient, life-long learners.

The Courtright Memorial Library includes over 500,000 books, periodicals (journals and magazines) - in both print and digital formats, along with Blu-Rays/DVDs, videotapes, microforms, federal government publications, records, and other instructional materials to support the curricular and co-curricular needs of students, faculty, and staff of Otterbein University. Both print and non-print materials (such as Blu-Rays) are shelved together to ease in finding related items. The library supports textbook affordability in many ways, including the provision of many text and course books via Course Reserves and our circulating collection.  The library offers laptop computers, data projectors, digital cameras, digital camcorders, and other equipment for checkout to the Otterbein University community. There are three computer labs located within the building and wireless connectivity is available throughout the library facility.

The Otter Bean Café, provides food, beverages, wireless connectivity, and comfortable seating. Restroom facilities and three classrooms are available in this area. Food and drink are permitted throughout the library facility.

The library is a part of a consortium of 25 private colleges and universities, called OPAL. OPAL provides a shared online catalog, circulation, reserve, and cataloging system. The system can be accessed through the campus network or Internet providers from computer labs, homes, offices, or dormitories. Membership in OPAL allows Otterbein to belong to the statewide consortium called OhioLINK. Through OhioLINK membership, students, faculty, and staff may request materials from other Ohio academic libraries, either electronically or by visiting that library. Any items not owned by another Ohio academic library can be obtained through resource sharing agreements via Interlibrary Loan. Membership in OhioLINK also provides access to vital electronic resources (both journals and books), such as; the EBSCO suite of databases (includes general research resources within Academic Search Complete to the more discipline-specific resources of Cinahl, Environmental Complete, ERIC, Medline, and SPORTDiscus), Lexis-Nexis, Safari and the Electronic Journal Center.  The strength of OhioLINK membership provides access to over 46 million library items!

The library staff strives to provide the best service possible to help students, faculty, staff, and community users find the information they require. Reference assistance is available both in the library and remotely. Contact the Courtright Memorial Library at 614-823-1215, via e-mail at, or by visiting their website.


Transfer Credit Policy

Otterbein University accepts all non-remedial credits earned at any regionally accredited institution with a grade C- or better. Otterbein also accepts credits for military coursework listed on a military transcript with ACE recommendations. Credits are evaluated by the Registrar in consultation with academic departments. Credits that do no align with specific Otterbein courses will be awarded general elective credit. Actual grades are not transferred and thus are not included in the Otterbein grade point average. If academic credentials are submitted in a non-English language a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation might be required. WES details and instructions are available at their website.

Advanced Placement (AP)

A student who receives a score of 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement Test in high school will receive credit for the appropriate Otterbein equivalent course. Proficiency rather than credit will be noted for a score of 3 for any Otterbein equivalent course except Integrative Studies courses (INST), Psychology (PSYC), Physics (PHYS), and Mathematics (MATH) courses. Exemption from INST courses requires a score of 4 or 5. Proficiency means that the Otterbein equivalent course may be skipped when it is a required, prerequisite, or co-requisite course.

Score = 4 or 5: credit granted for Otterbein equivalent course
Score = 3: proficiency granted for Otterbein equivalent course except for INST, MATH, PHYS, and PSYC courses

AP Test Otterbein Equivalent
Biology - score of 3    (proficiency only; NOT credit hours)
Biology - score of 4 or 5   AND   
Chemistry - score of 3

  AND   (Proficiency only; NOT credit hours)

Chemistry - score of 4   AND       
Chemistry - score of 5  /   AND  /   
Chinese Language    
Computer Science A    
Computer Science Principle   
Economics, Macro    
Economics, Micro    
English Language/Composition    
Environmental Science    
French Language    
German Language    
Government and Politics - Comparative    
Government and Politics - United States    
History - European    
History - United States    
History - World     
Human Geography    
Italian Language    
Japanese Language    
Latin Language Modern Language - 1100
Mathematics - Calc AB    
Mathematics - Calc BC    AND    
Physics I - score of 4   
Physics I - score of 5 PHYS 1100 - Introduction to Physics I  AND   
Physics C -  Electricity and Magnetism, with score 4 or 5   
Physics C - Mechanics, with score 4 or 5   
Psychology, with score 4 or 5   
Spanish Language   AND   
Spanish Literature   AND   

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who have completed the IB Program and received an IB diploma may apply for college credit which will be assigned as follows:

  • IB Group 1 Courses -   .
  • IB Group 2 Courses - Modern Language 1000 and 1100 which fulfills the University’s general education disciplinary skills modern language option.
  • IB Group 3 Courses 
    • INST 2000 Power and Difference of Self in a Diverse Society series credit for subjects in Geography, Global Politics, Psychology, Social and Cultural Anthropology
    • INST 2200 Reflection and Responsibility series credit for subjects in Philosophy and World Religions
    • INST 2400 Natural Foundations series credit for subjects in Environmental Systems and Societies
    • INST 2800 Global Cultures series credit for subjects in History
    • General elective credit for subjects in Business and Management, Economics, or Information Technology in a Global Society
  • IB Group 4 Courses - INST 2400 Natural Foundations series credit for all subjects except in exercise, health, and sport.
  • IB Group 5 Courses 
  • IB Group 6 Courses - INST 2600 Creativity and Culture series credit for all subjects.

Students who do not have an IB diploma but who have taken Higher Level IB exams will receive credit on a case-by-case basis for examinations that match courses in the University’s curriculum. A score of 5, 6 or 7 is required. The official International Baccalaureate diploma should be submitted to the Admission Office in June following graduation.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may use their intellectual interests, academic backgrounds, and experience to gain college credit through the following means. Students are not permitted to take CLEP exams once they have reached senior status (90 or more earned credit hours) or have already earned a Bachelor’s degree. None of the hours may be used to fulfill the University’s residency requirement. Maximum credit = 40 semester hours.

Exam Title Min. Score Needed Otterbein Equivalent
American Government 63   
American Literature 58   
English Literature 62   
Financial Accounting 65


French Language 64    
German Language 59    
History of the United States I 56    
History of the United States II 57     
Introductory Business Law 60   
Introductory Psychology 59   
Introductory Sociology 59   
Principles of Management 63   
Principles of Marketing 65   
Principles of Macroeconomics 62   
Principles of Microeconomics 64   
Spanish Language 56    

Credit by Otterbein Academic Department Exam

An Otterbein academic department may decide to develop its own method of verifying a student’s knowledge of a course. If an examination is the method selected, a course syllabus and several sample questions will be made available to the student by the instructor providing the grade. A per-credit hour fee is charged for on-campus credit by examination or portfolio. An additional fee may be charged for a laboratory examination. Grading is made on a pass/fail basis. When an Otterbein exam is not successfully passed, a second attempt can only be made by taking the actual class. Failed departmental examination attempts are not recorded on the academic transcript.


Adding to a Degree Already Awarded

Once an Otterbein Bachelor’s degree has already been awarded, students are not permitted to alter or enhance the transcript record at a later date by adding another major, a minor, repeating courses to improve the GPA, etc. Students may, however, earn a second Otterbein Bachelor’s degree as described below.

Earning a Second Bachelor’s Degree

To earn a second Bachelor’s degree after the first has already been conferred, a student must complete:

  • A minimum of 24 semester credit hours in residence at Otterbein; CLEP, credit by other means of examination, proficiency tests, Otterbein course MATH 0900 , etc. may not be used to fulfill this requirement.
  • All requirements in the major of which at least 9 semester credit hours in the major must be completed in residence at the 3000/4000 level
  • At least one INST 2XXX thread course, INST 3XXX, and an SYE course in residence for all programs except the BSN in Nursing. This is applicable only to students who did not earn the first degree at Otterbein; those who did are exempt from this requirement.
  • The BSN in Nursing has specific INST requirements, those courses will meet the 2nd degree INST residency requirement. See BSN-Nursing program information under Academic Program and Degree Requirements for further information.
  • The general education mathematics requirement

If fewer than 24 semester credit hours are needed to complete the degree requirements, the remaining hours needed to reach 24 may consist of elective credit.

Students seeking a second degree may not seek the same degree type as was previous earned. For example, if a student has previously earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, they may not return to complete a second Bachelor of Arts degree. Students seeking a second degree and students who change majors are monitored under the SAP policy and may have quantitative maximum time frame considerations identified.  See the “degree completion” description. 

Double Major and Dual Degrees

In certain cases, students may be able to complete the requirements for multiple academic programs through either a double major or a dual (second) degree. The decision should be made early, and students are strongly encouraged to arrange for advising in both academic disciplines.

Students will earn a double major when both majors lead to the same degree name (e.g. B.A., B.S., B.F.A.). For example, students who meet the requirements for a major in Accounting as well as Marketing will receive a single B.S. degree. A dual degree combines two majors from distinct degree programs. Completing a major in Finance and a major in Political Science results in two degrees, a B.A. in Political Science and a B.S. in Finance. Students who successfully complete a dual degree program receive two diplomas, one for each degree earned.

To declare a second major or dual-degree, students should contact their advisor as well as the Center for Student Success to discuss plans and requirements for both academic programs. 

Individualized Major

For a description of the requirements for consideration to add an individualized major, click on the link below.


Individualized Minor

For a description of the requirements for consideration to add an individualized minor, click on the link below.


Residency Requirements for Majors and Minors

For a description of the residency requirements in majors and minors, click the link below and then click on the specific program desired.



The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights in connection with educational records maintained at Otterbein University.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Otterbein University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the records(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

It the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Otterbein University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Otterbein University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Otterbein University.
The University reserves the right to notify parents or guardians of “dependent” students, regardless of the student’s age or status, of conduct in health and safety emergencies, hospitalization, or where in the University’s judgment the health or well-being of the student, or others, is, or may be at risk.

4. Students, parents, and foreign government agencies supporting dependent students have access rights to the educational records maintained about them during their enrollment.
a. “Dependent” means being listed as such on the parents’ annual federal income tax statement, or (in the case of foreign students) receiving at least 50 percent or more of their support from parents or foreign government agencies.
b. Students who are independent of their parents must file an annual statement by September 30 to this effect on a form available in the Student Affairs office.
c. Non-immigrant foreign students have agreed to give the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) access to certain information as is outlined on the non-immigrant’s form I-20 (page 2) or DS-2019 (page 2). Records pertaining to these students and documents are maintained in the Center for International Education and Global Engagement.

5. Certain educational records exempt from this access are as follows:
a. Records in the sole possession of a professor, physician, counselor, psychologist, or the law enforcement unit of Otterbein University.
b. Parental financial statements, and
c. Recommendations for which the student has waived rights of access.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, with Otterbein University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of 99.34. (99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U. S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the University’s State-supported educational programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of 99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to 99.36. (99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under 99.37. (99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (99.31(a)(13))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (99.31(a)(15))

6. “Directory Information” can be furnished without the students’ permission and is listed below:

  • Name
  • Address - campus and home
  • Telephone numbers - campus, home, and/or cell phone
  • E-mail address - campus
  • Campus SMC number
  • Enrollment type
  • Date and place of birth
  • Field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance at Otterbein University
  • Degrees and awards received while attending Otterbein University
  • Most recent educational agency or institution attended by students
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Photograph
  • High school of student
  • Greek affiliation
  • Class rank of student
  • SID can be displayed on Student ID Card

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Otterbein University to comply with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)


Grade Marks

The following grades from letter-graded courses are included in the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). The numeric equivalents to the letter grades are displayed with the % symbol.

A  4.0 100-93% exceptional
A-  3.7 92-90% excellent
B+  3.3 89-87% above average
B  3.0 86-83% above average
B-  2.7 82-80% above average
C+  2.3 79-77% average
C  2.0 76-73% average
C-  1.7 72-70% below average
D+  1.3 69-67% below average
D  1.0 66-60% below average
F  0.0 under 60% failure

The following grades are not included in the calculation of the GPA:

AU audit
F failure from pass/fail graded course
IP coursework incomplete (in-progress); temporary condition
NR grade not reported by instructor; temporary condition
P pass from pass/fail graded course
T transfer credit from another institution
W withdrawal

In-Progress (IP) Grades

“IP” is the temporary symbol given when course requirements have not been met due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An incomplete grade should only be considered when the majority of the work required for the course has already been finished. The pressures of a normal academic load or the desire to do extra work in the course are not sufficient reasons for granting an incomplete.

The amount of additional time permitted might be no more than a few days or weeks since it should be proportional to the student’s illness or absence, etc. while remaining fair to others who were enrolled in the course. The IP must be completed no later than the following applicable deadline or sooner if prescribed by the instructor: for Fall IP’s, the last day of the Spring classes; for Cardinal Term classes, the last day of Spring classes; for Spring, and Summer IP’s, the last day of Fall classes.

Due to extraordinary circumstances, an IP completion deadline may be considered for extension. To receive consideration, the student (not the instructor) must submit a written request/rationale to the applicable School Dean no later than the seventh Friday of the term the IP is due for completion.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to arrange for completion of the work, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to submit the final grade. When no grade is received, the default grade previously provided by the instructor will be assigned.

Grade Discrepancies (Grade Changes)

Grades submitted to the Office of the Registrar are considered final unless (1) evidence of an error can be presented, or (2) the student is convinced his or her academic performance was evaluated in a prejudiced or capricious manner on anything other than on an academic basis. Grades may not be changed by arranging to complete additional work or by meeting criteria not in accord with those applied to all other students enrolled in the course.

To appeal a grade, the student must consult with the instructor (or the department chairperson when the instructor is away from campus) no later than the following applicable deadline: 12 months from the grading deadline for any given term. Signatures of both the instructor and the instructor’s department chairperson are required to change a grade.

When a grading issue cannot be resolved through discussions with the instructor or department chairperson, the student may present evidence in writing to the Dean of school or program in which the course is taught indicating an error, the prejudicial basis, or the capricious manner used in evaluating his or her performance. The Dean will consult with the student and instructor after which the appeal may be passed on to the Student Appeals Council for its consultation and judgment. The actual grade change, if deemed in order by the Student Appeals Council, shall be determined by the Dean in consultation with the student and the instructor involved (or the applicable Department Chairperson if the instructor is unavailable).

Transcript of Academic Work

Order your official Otterbein academic transcript here.


Applying for a Degree

Degrees are granted at the end of summer, fall, and spring semesters. Students planning to graduate must request a Graduation Application at the Office of the Registrar one term prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this requirement, to initiate the request and to return the application on time.


The undergraduate commencement ceremony is held in April or May and all graduates (summer, fall, and spring) are invited to participate. Guest seating is limited to seven tickets per graduate. Extra tickets will not be available. To participate, a student must submit a completed Graduation Application, and meet participation criteria as detailed on the Otterbein website.


Academic Appeals (Academic Hearing Board)

Through the Academic Hearing Board, which is a standing committee of the University Senate, an avenue for appealing academic policies is provided to all students. Details regarding the appeal process are available from the Center for Student Success. Minutes of past Academic Council meetings are on file in the Library.


Distinction Program

The Distinction Program has a long and useful tradition at Otterbein University. The program involves the design and participation in an independent project within the student’s major field of study. The project is carried out in consultation with an advisory committee consisting of a primary project advisor, another member of the faculty chosen by the student in consultation with the advisor, and one member of the faculty appointed by the Distinction Committee.

An independent program of study offers the student an opportunity for personal growth within a chosen field of expertise that far exceeds that available in the classroom. A student in the program will perform independent scholarly activity as defined by the discipline. Students work closely with an advisor, an advisory committee, and prepare a written thesis. This is a collaborative effort that mimics the pursuit of an advanced degree and demonstrates the shared responsibility for learning that is so much a part of a liberal arts tradition.

To be eligible for the Distinction Program, a student must have completed 64 semester hours of study with a grade point average of 3.4 or above. All potential candidates are notified by the Chair of the Distinction Committee during winter of the junior year. To enter the program the student chooses a faculty member to act as advisor for work in distinction, prepares a proposal, and attaches the proposal to a petition for work in distinction. The distinction project is completed during the senior year. Persons who complete the program to the satisfaction of their advisory committee will graduate “With Distinction.” These students will receive up to five hours of Independent Study with the grade of A and the words “With Distinction” will be included on the diploma and commencement program.

Interested students should contact program coordinator Dr. David Robertson.

University Honors Program

The Honors Program at Otterbein University is a rigorous and exciting program of study for students of high academic ability and strong personal motivation. We offer a unique academic experience for intellectually invested students. The Honors course sequence begins with small, discussion-based seminars taken in the freshman and sophomore years. In the junior and senior year students work closely with a faculty advisor of their choice to pursue an independent research or creative project in their individual field of study. The University Honors Program prepares you for a rewarding professional life after graduation. We foster a culture of research, responsibility, and self-reliance that will shape you as a citizen and community member.

Students selected to participate in the Honors program enroll in selected HNRS-prefix courses that are designated for Honors students only. These courses substitute for INST requirements (as listed below). Honors students receive priority registration.

Admission to the program requires:

1. a minimum ACT score of 27 or a minimum SAT score of 1220

2. a top 10% rank in the high school graduating class or a minimum 3.8 GPA.

Entering freshmen who do not meet the above criteria may request entrance into the program based on partial qualifications and recommendations. Requests should be made to the Office of Admissions.

Current students with a 3.5 GPA may be recommended for entrance into the program by a faculty member. The recommendation must be submitted by the end of the student’s freshman year. Submit recommendation letters via email to the Honors Program Director, Dr. Karen Steigman.

Students must maintain a 3.5 GPA and good academic standing to continue in the Honors Program (subject to Director discretion). Students sanctioned for academic dishonesty (e.g. plagiarism) will be dismissed from Honors.


The Honors program curriculum parallels the Integrative Studies curriculum. Students may complete the Honors program by choosing the thesis or non-thesis track option. In the freshman and sophomore years, students take three Honors seminars: one freshman Honors course in composition and literature (HNRS 1500) and two sophomore-level Honors courses (HNRS 2000, 2200, 2400, or 2600). Sophomore courses are offered in a range of fields including art, religion and philosophy, sciences, history and political science, and social sciences.

The junior and senior years are devoted to the independent Honors Project. Juniors participate in an interdisciplinary workshop, the Honors Project Seminar (HRNS 3500), to begin preliminary project research; during the senior year, students work with a faculty advisor of their choice to complete their projects (HNRS 4000). On Honors Reporting Day, held annually in April, graduating Honors students share and celebrate their research and creative achievements with the campus community.

Students enrolled in the Honors Program take the following courses:

Honors without thesis:


Honors with thesis project:

Honors students are eligible to live in the Honors residence hall, Mayne Hall. This living-learning community gives students the opportunity to engage with other Honors students and participate in special activities planned just for Honors students.

Participation in the Honors Program will be recognized permanently in two ways: Honors courses will be noted on academic transcript record via the HNRS prefix so that potential employers or graduate school admission committees will recognize that level of work completed, and “With Honors,” will be noted on the diploma. The Honors designation will also be included in the commencement program and announced as the diploma is presented.

For Honors Program recognition, a student must have completed the requirements of the honors program. Honors Program Honors will be recorded on the permanent transcript record and on the diploma. It will be noted in the commencement program and announced as the recipient is presented the diploma. A medal is worn at commencement.

To graduate With Distinction, a student must satisfactorily complete an approved program of independent study and research, submit a thesis, and pass oral and written examinations on the field studied. With Distinction Honors will be recorded on the permanent transcript record and on the diploma. It will be noted in the commencement program and announced as the recipient is presented the diploma. A medal is worn at commencement.

The Honors Program is directed by Dr. Karen Steigman of the Department of English.

Dean’s List

To be included on the Dean’s List, a student must complete at least 12 hours in a semester (fall or spring) with a grade point average of at least 3.600.  Inclusion on the Annual Dean’s List requires a student to be on the Dean’s List for fall and spring semesters of the academic year just completed, or a full-time student both fall and spring semesters in the academic year with a grade point average of at least 3.600.

The Dean’s List is compiled by the Office of Academic Affairs. Dean’s List congratulatory cards are sent from the Office of Academic Affairs, 614-823-1573. Announcements to local newspapers are sent from the Department of Marketing and Communications, 614-823-1600.

Latin Honors at Graduation

For Latin honors, a student must have achieved the following final grade point average:

  • 3.600 - 3.799 for Cum Laude
  • 3.800 - 3.949 for Magna Cum Laude
  • 3.950 - 4.000 for Summa Cum Laude

Latin Honors will be recorded on the permanent transcript record and on the diploma. It will be noted in the commencement program and announced as the recipient is presented the diploma.

Departmental Honors at Graduation

For Departmental Honors at graduation, a student must have achieved a 3.700 grade point average for all courses in the major by the end of Cardinal Term. Students who are seeking a second Bachelor’s degree (first one already awarded) are not eligible for Departmental Honors. Departmental Honors will be noted in the commencement program. A pin is worn at commencement.


Auditing Courses

All requests to audit courses are subject to final approval by the Office of the Registrar. Confirmation or declination will be sent shortly after the registration is processed. Among courses that may not be audited are those that consume laboratory, computer, or other additional program resources and those in high demand by credit-seeking students. Demand fluctuates, meaning at some point in time any course has the potential of not being available for audit.

Audit expectations are determined by the instructor and thus may vary from course to course. It is the student’s responsibility to discuss expectations with the instructor prior to the start of the class or no later than the first class meeting. Changes from audit to credit or credit to audit must be made during the published add/drop period. A grade of AU will appear on the transcript record. An audit may not be substituted for a required class; the required class must be taken for credit.

Full-time students are not permitted to audit courses.

Change of Catalog Year

The degree requirements of the University in effect at the time of the student’s first enrollment are those which must be met for completion of a degree program. Subsequent changes in degree requirements may be substituted with the approval of the department chairperson or Academic Hearing Board, whichever is appropriate.

Students who interrupt their enrollment at Otterbein University or in an Otterbein University approved program for longer than 12 consecutive months must meet the requirements for graduation as published in the catalog at the time of re-enrollment.

In some instances, changes in departmental requirements must be applied to students who have already enrolled. In such instances, the new requirements will apply in a manner that will not require a student to carry more than a full-time load otherwise not required in any semester and will not prolong the time required to complete the degree requirements. Department chairpersons have the authority to waive or provide substitute course work for departmental requirements.

Change of Schedule: adding or dropping classes

For complete information on academic dates and deadlines for all terms refer to the academic calendar.

Change of Schedule: withdrawal from all classes

Students who wish to fully withdrawal from all registered courses must do the following:

  1. First, determine whether you are still within the deadline for withdrawing. Please check the academic calendar for all applicable deadlines. Once the last day to drop a class with a W has passed, you will receive a final letter grade for all active registered courses.
  2. Drop your classes via Self-Service Banner*. Make sure that you drop all classes in the current term, as well as classes for which you are registered in future terms if you are not returning to Otterbein University. The date on which you drop your classes becomes the official date of withdrawal. Additionally, please e-mail from your Otterbein e-mail to officially begin the withdrawal process.
  3. Contact Student Financial Services at 614-823-1150 to:
    • Determine the impact withdrawing may have on your financial aid
    • Ensure you have no outstanding financial obligations
    • Complete an exit interview for any student loans
  4. Contact IT (614-823-3100) for information regarding your Otterbein email and O-Zone login-in credentials
  5. If you have a University housing and/or meal contract, contact the Office of Student Affairs at 614-823-1250 to terminate your contact.

A registered student is considered to be enrolled until officially withdrawn.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar of intent to withdraw.  If a student never attends or stops attending classes without officially withdrawing, the registration will not automatically be removed and the student is financially responsible for any and all charges applied.

*Only students who withdraw from all registered courses in a semester are eligible for any amount of refund. See the academic calendar for refund deadlines.

Course Load/Overload

Students enrolled for 12 to 18 credit hours during fall, spring, or summer semesters will be considered full-time. During Cardinal Term a student may enroll for 5 credit hours.

An academic overload is greater than 18 hours. An overload is permitted when the student has achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 the preceding semester. New students may not take an overload during their first semester. No student may register for more than 20 hours in a semester without the approval of the School Dean who oversees the department housing the student’s major.

For Cardinal Term, no academic overload is permitted.

For Summer Semester, overloads of 19-21 hours are not permitted due to the accelerated pace required for fewer weeks of study. No student may register for more than 18 hours without the approval of their School Dean.

School of Arts and Sciences School of Professional Studies
Dean, Dr. Paul Eisenstein Dean, Dr. Barbara Schaffner
Art Business, Accounting, and Economics
Biology and Earth Sciences Education
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Engineering
Chemistry Equine Science
Communication Health and Sport Sciences
English Nursing
History and Political Science  
Mathematical Sciences  
Modern Languages and Cultures  
Religion and Philosophy  
Sociology and Anthropology  
Theatre and Dance  
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies  

Cross Registration

Cross registration enables a full-time degree-seeking student in good academic standing an opportunity to register at a member Higher Education Council of Columbus (HECC) institution on a space-available basis for certain credit courses. The primary objective of cross-registration is to enrich a student’s curriculum by providing an opportunity to take a course that is never taught at Otterbein without requiring formal admission or payment of tuition to the host institution. The host institution may, however, charge for other enrollment-related fees such as laboratory or parking fees. Member HECC institutions are:

Capital University
Central Ohio Technical College
The Columbus College of Art and Design
Columbus State Community College
Franklin University
Ohio Dominican University
The Ohio State University
Otterbein University

Participation requirements are:

  • The student must be in good academic standing and enrolled full-time at Otterbein (12 or more hours of Otterbein coursework; this excludes the hours of the cross-registered course). If the student drops below full-time status at Otterbein, withdrawal from the cross-registered course will be required. If the cross-registered course is to be taken at an institution from which the student transferred, the student must have departed that institution in good academic standing.
  • A course taken through HECC cannot be one that is offered by Otterbein (the determination as to whether the host institution’s course is similar to Otterbein’s will be made by Otterbein).
  • The program may not be used to resolve scheduling conflicts.
  • The student must be able to demonstrate that any prerequisite course knowledge has already been met.

Registration requirements are:

  • The student must first contact the Office of the Registrar to obtain an application form and registration approval.
  • Once approval is received, the student must then register at the host institution.
  • A combined total of hours carried at Otterbein and the host institution may not exceed 18 unless a 3.0 GPA was achieved for a full-time load the preceding term. If a 3.0 was achieved for a full-time load, a maximum of 20 hours may be carried. No student may register for more than 20 hours in a semester.
  • Cross-registration is limited to one course per term and three per lifetime. The lifetime total is the total for all institutions attended. In other words, if two cross-registered courses are taken while enrolled at Otterbein, only one more may be taken if the student transfers to another HECC institution.  ROTC courses at Capital University and The Ohio State University are not restricted to the three-course lifetime limit (may be taken as many times as required by the ROTC affiliate).
  • The program is available in fall, spring and summer semesters.

Graduate Courses Taken by Undergraduate Students

Written permission is needed in order to take graduate level courses. Usually, this coursework does not count towards undergraduate degree programs. Permission forms are available through the O-Zone, or in the Office of the Registrar, Towers 027.

Independent Study

Independent study is an opportunity for qualified students to work in topics of special interest or areas not otherwise available through the standard curriculum. The course content is determined by the student and the faculty member collaboratively. Independent studies typically carry a course number of 3900, 5900 or 6900.  A maximum of 12 semester hours may be taken as independent study during a student’s undergraduate career. Of that 12, no more than 6 semester hours may be taken in the major or minor. The hours for Distinction Research are excluded from these restrictions. Students are required to self-monitor the independent study hours they accumulate and not exceed the 6/12 hour restrictions. Exceptions to this policy are granted at the discretion of the respective department chair. Independent study offerings may be either standard letter or pass/fail graded.


An internship, as defined by the Otterbein University Internship Program, is a structured academic opportunity that allows students to apply academic skills and knowledge in the work place. A maximum of 15 semester hours of internship credit may be counted toward degree requirements at Otterbein. Internship offerings may be either standard letter or pass/fail graded.


Prerequisites or corequisites are requirements which are judged necessary for the successful completion of a course. Students who register for a course without compete the prerequisite or corequisite are subject to being withdrawn from the course by the instructor or the Registrar.

Registration Timetable and Priority

For currently enrolled students, registration for the fall and spring semesters occurs during or after week 10 of the prior term.

  • Students registered for the fall semester will register for the spring semester during fall semester.
  • Currently enrolled students will register for fall semester during spring semester.
  • Registration for summer classes will typically open during January of the same year.

Transfer, graduate, and adult students who are newly admitted for an upcoming semester will be eligible to register after currently enrolled students. For entering first-time freshman, student schedules are created by advising personnel prior to orientation.  During orientation, entering freshman review their schedule with faculty advisors and may make changes if needed.

When registration first opens for the fall and spring semesters, priority to register is given to students participating in the Honors program, students receiving Disability Services assistance, students receiving VA benefits, and students in the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine program. Following the priority registration date, student registration opens according to earned hours status, with rising seniors registering first, then rising juniors and rising sophomores.  Open registration occurs after all currently enrolled students have had an opportunity to register.

Eligibility to register for an upcoming term is based on a student’s account being in paid status. Students with any type of registration hold will be blocked from registering until the hold is cleared. The University reserves the right to refuse registration to a student who is failing to make satisfactory progress toward his or her degree.

Repeating Courses

Unless a course is listed in the course catalog as being repeatable, a course cannot be taken for additional credit. If a student wishes to repeat a course in order to replace the prior grade, the credit hours from the previous attempt will not apply towards any requirements, and the course grade will be removed from the GPA calculations.

Repeating a course is subject to the following policies:

  • The repeated course must be either (a) the same Otterbein course that was originally taken or (b) the direct transfer equivalent from another institution as determined by the Office of the Registrar. When in doubt, obtain written clarification from the Office of the Registrar. No other University personnel are authorized to make the clarification.
  • INST/HNRS 1500 level courses will be considered a repeat.
  • INST/HNRS 2000, 2200, 2400, 2600, 2800 and 3000 level courses are only considered a repeat if the course number is the same. For example 2201-02 and 2201-03 will be considered a repeat but 2201-02 and 2203-01 will not be considered a repeat.
  • FYS courses are not repeatable for credit. If a student repeats an FYS section, regardless of the course number, the first attempt will be excluded from the GPA and the second attempt will be included in the GPA.
  • If a course has been transferred to Otterbein and is subsequently repeated at Otterbein, the transfer course credit will be excluded from meeting any course or degree requirements. The Otterbein course will be included in the GPA calculation and will be used towards degree requirements if applicable.
  • Only the most recent grade and credit hours will be counted in determining the GPA even if the most recent grade is lower that a prior one.
  • If, per the course catalog, a course is allowed to be repeated, a student would need to take an additional attempt, beyond the repeat limit, for the course to be marked as a repeat. For example, if a 3 credit hour course may be taken for a total of 9 credits, a student would need to complete 12 credits in order for one attempt to be marked as a repeat. If there is no maximum listed for a repeatable course, no credits will be excluded from the GPA calculation.
  • All course attempts and grades will appear on the transcript record. Repeated courses will be marked on the transcript with an “E” indicating ‘excluded from GPA calculation”. The subsequent attempt will be marked with an “I” indicating ‘included in GPA calculation’.
  • Courses repeated after graduation will not change the graduation GPA.
  • Courses with a ‘W’ or ‘IP’ are not considered in repeat processing.