Apr 20, 2018
Total required hours: 126
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements
II. Major Requirements (79 to 83 hrs)
Note: A minimum grade of C must be achieved in all EDUC courses. If a grade lower than C is earned in any EDUC course, the course must be repeated in order to count toward the major. Should that course be a prerequisite for subsequent coursework, you must earn a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course before continuing with the subsequent coursework.
A. Core Courses (all courses required)
B. Concentrations (select two)
Language Arts Concentration (all courses required)
Mathematics Concentration (all courses required)
Science Concentration (all courses required)
Social Studies Concentration (all courses required)
C. Optional Middle Childhood 4-6 Generalist Endorsement
Middle Childhood 4-6 Generalist (can only be added to a valid Middle Childhood Teaching License with two content areas. The candidate would take additional course work in the concentration area not covered in the original license. The required course sequences are listed below. Additional Praxis II exam is required.
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take either EDUC 1600 or EDUC 2000 or 2200. Transfer credit will only be accepted for one of these courses.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take one of the following at Otterbein: EDUC 3200, EDUC 3420, EDUC 3700, HLED 4000, PHED 4000, MUSC 3033, MUSC 3034.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take one of the following combinations at Otterbein (Student Teaching and Student Teaching Seminar): (EDUC 4100 and 4130), (EDUC 4710 and 4720), or (EDUC 4810 and 4820), or (EDUC 4900 and one of 4130, 4720, or 4820).
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (126 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 126 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall in the Education Major and in licensure Content Areas must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.