Jun 20, 2018
Total required hours: 126
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements
- First Year or Transition Year Seminar (4 hrs)
- Integrative Studies (28 hrs)
- Modern Language (0, 4 or 8 hrs)
- Mathematics (4 hrs)
- Health and Physical Education Lifestyle Series (1 hr)
- Senior Year Experience (4 hrs)
- Writing Intensive Requirement (click the General Education Requirements link below for details)
See for specifics.
II. Major Requirements (44 hrs)
A. 1000 Level Elective (1 course required)
B. 2000 Level Elective (1 course required)
C. Sophomore Seminar (required)
- HIST 2100 - History Seminar - Writing Intensive 4 hrs
Note: Students are expected to take HIST 2100 before the end of their sophomore year, or if declaring a history major in their junior year, as soon as possible. HIST 2100 is a pre-requisite for the 4000 level courses in the History program.
D. European History Elective (1 course required)
E. United States History Elective (1 course required)
F. Asian History Elective (1 course required)
G. African History Elective (1 course required)
H. Senior Research Seminar (required)
I. Electives (12 hrs of HIST including at least 8 hrs at 3000/4000 level)
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (126 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 126 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.