Oct 17, 2019
Total required hours: 128
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements
- First Year or Transition Year Seminar (4 hrs)
- Integrative Studies (28 hrs)
Note: For the Creativity and Culture INST requirement, a course other than INST 2605-2607.
- Mathematics (4 hrs)
- Health and Physical Education Lifestyles (1 hr)
- Senior Year Experience (2 hrs)
- Writing Intensive Requirement (click the General Education Requirements link below for details)
See for specifics.
II. Major Requirements (87 hrs)
Note: A minimum grade of C must be achieved in all MUSC courses. If a grade lower than C is earned in any MUSC course, the course must be repeated in order to count toward the major. Should that course be a prerequisite for subsequent coursework, you must earn a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course before continuing with the subsequent coursework.
A. Core Courses (all courses required)
- MUSC 1000 - Music Theory I 3 hrs
- MUSC 1001 - Music Theory II 3 hrs
- MUSC 1010 - Aural Skills I 1 hr
- MUSC 1011 - Aural Skills II 1 hr
- MUSC 1020 - Piano Class I 1 hr
- MUSC 1021 - Piano Class II 1 hr
- MUSC 1040 - Introduction to Music 2 hrs
- MUSC 1050 - Exploring the Digital Arts 2 hrs
- MUSC 1080 - Concert Attendance 0 hrs (6 semesters)
- MUSC 1092 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 1093 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2000 - Music Theory III: Renaissance Through Classical Styles 3 hrs
- MUSC 2001 - Music Theory IV: Romantic Through Contemporary Styles 3 hrs
- MUSC 2010 - Aural Skills III 1 hr
- MUSC 2011 - Aural Skills IV 1 hr
- MUSC 2040 - Music History and Literature I 3 hrs
- MUSC 2080 - Sophomore Conference 0 hrs (1 semester)
- MUSC 2092 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2093 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3040 - Music History and Literature II - Writing Intensive 3 hrs
- MUSC 3041 - Music History and Literature III - Writing Intensive 3 hrs
- MUSC 3092 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3093 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 4100 - 4114 Major Ensembles (or MUSC 4150 by permission) 4 hrs
B. Business Courses (all courses required)
C. Concentration (select one)
Arts Administration Concentration (all courses required)
Audio Production Concentration (all courses required)
Music Management Concentration (all courses required)
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (128 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 128 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.