Aug 18, 2018
Total required hours: 128
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements
- First Year or Transition Year Seminar (4 hrs)
- Integrative Studies (28 hrs)
- Modern Language (0, 4 or 8 hrs)
- Mathematics (4 hrs)
Note: This major requires
- Health and Physical Education Lifestyles (1 hr)
- Senior Year Experience (4 hrs)
- Writing Intensive Requirement (click the General Education Requirements link below for details)
See for specifics.
II. Major Requirements (64 hrs)
A. Core Courses (all courses required)
B. Support Courses (all courses required)
C. Electives (12 hrs required)
- MKTG 2650 - Sales 4 hrs
- MKTG 3850 - Marketing Analytics 4 hrs
- MKTG 3900 - Independent Study 1-4 hrs
- MKTG 4100 - Retail Management - Writing Intensive 4 hrs
- MKTG 4990 - Special Topics 1-4 hrs
Marketing focuses on the creation and maintenance of exchange relationship. This focus includes topics related to analytics, branding, digital marketing, marketing communications, promotions, marketing research, and sales. Individuals who excel in marketing are creative types who sharpen their skills related to speaking, listening, writing, and critical thinking. The marketing major at Otterbein prepares you for careers in marketing analytics, advertising, marketing research, retail management, sales, and general marketing positions. Marketing majors are strongly encouraged to complete an independent study or research project along with an internship. The curriculum remains flexible enough for you to earn a minor or a second major in another business-related discipline.
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (128 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 128 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.