May 24, 2018
Total required hours: 128 are required for an Otterbein degree, but this program may require as many as 135 hrs to fulfill all of the course requirements.
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements
II. Major Requirements (74 to 82 hrs)
Note: A minimum grade of C must be achieved in all EDUC courses. If a grade lower than C is earned in any EDUC course, the course must be repeated in order to count toward the major. Should that course be a prerequisite for subsequent coursework, you must earn a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course before continuing with the subsequent coursework.
A. Core Courses (all courses required)
B. Support Courses (all courses required)
C. Concentration (select one)
Intervention Specialist License Concentration (all courses required)
Generalist License Concentration (all courses required)
Specialized Content Strand Concentration
- Include a minimum of 16 semester hours of a content area beyond the basic/elementray level and could be (but not required) based on a defined University major.
- Be defined in collaboration between the candidates and the academic advisor.
- Be submitted with the application for admission to Teacher Education.
- Be approved by the Education Department Chair.
- Approved requests must be submitted by the candidate to the Office of the Registrar within two semesters of graduation.
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take either EDUC 1600 or EDUC 2000 or 2200. Transfer credit will only be accepted for one of these courses.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take one of the following at Otterbein: EDUC 3200, EDUC 3420, EDUC 3700, HLED 4000, PHED 4000, MUSC 3033, MUSC 3034.
- Any undergraduate student applying for Ohio licensure through an Otterbein program must take one of the following combinations at Otterbein (Student Teaching and Student Teaching Seminar): (EDUC 4100 and 4130), (EDUC 4710 and 4720), or (EDUC 4810 and 4820), or (EDUC 4900 and one of 4130, 4720, or 4820).
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (128 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 128 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total. In most cases, taking elective work to reach 128 hours will not be necessary since all courses required for this degree program may total 135 hours. If any coursework is waived or is transferred for less credit than its Otterbein equivalent, electives may be necessary in order to reach 128 hours.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall in the Education Major and in licensure Content Areas must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.