Nov 16, 2018
Total required hours: 128 are required for an Otterbein degree, but this program typically requires as many as 131 hrs to fulfill all of the course requirements.
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements (33 hrs)
- First Year or Transition Year Seminar (4 hrs)
- Integrative Studies (28 hrs)
Note: For the Creativity and Culture INST requirement, a course other than INST 2608 must be selected.
- Health and Physical Education Lifestyle Series (1 hr)
- Senior Year Experience (fulfilled within the major)
- Writing Intensive Requirement (fulfilled within Integrative Studies and the major)
See for specifics.
II. Major Requirements (98 hrs)
A. Studies in Musical Theatre (all courses required)
- MUSC 1070 - Freshman Theatre Ensemble 1 hr
- MUSC 1092 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 1093 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2092 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2093 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3070 - Musical Theatre Studio I 2 hrs
- MUSC 3071 - Musical Theatre Studio II 2 hrs
- MUSC 3092 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3093 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 4092 - Senior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 4100 - 4114 Major Ensembles (or MUSC 4150 by permission) 2 hrs
- THR 1810 - Acting, Voice, Speech and Movement I 4 hrs
- THR 1820 - Acting, Voice, Speech and Movement II 4 hrs
- THR 2010 - Theatre Participation III 1 hr
- THR 2020 - Theatre Participation IV 1 hr
- THR 2610 - Acting, Voice, Speech and Movement III 4 hrs
- THR 2620 - Acting, Voice, Speech and Movement IV 4 hrs
- THR 3010 - Theatre Participation V 1 hr
- THR 3020 - Theatre Participation VI 1 hr
- THR 4010 - Theatre Participation VII 1 hr
- THR 4300 - Acting Studio I 4 hrs
- THR 4400 - Acting Studio II 4 hrs
B. Studies in Dance and Movement (15 hours required)
C. Support Courses (all courses required)
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (128 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 128 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total. In most cases, taking elective work to reach 128 hours will not be necessary since all courses required for this degree program may total 131 hours. If any coursework is waived or is transferred for less credit than its Otterbein equivalent, electives may be necessary in order to reach 128 hours.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.