Jul 21, 2019
Total required hours: 128 are required for an Otterbein degree, but this program typically requires as many as 138 hrs to fulfill all of the course requirements.
Current Students: Track your progress using the Degree Audit feature of Self-Service Banner.
I. General Education Requirements (37 hrs)
- First Year or Transition Year Seminar (4 hrs)
- Integrative Studies (28 hrs)
Note: For the Creativity and Culture INST requirement, a course other than INST 2605-2607 and other than INST approved substitutions MUSC 3042 and 3046 must be selected.
- Mathematics (4 hrs)
- Health and Physical Education Lifestyles (1 hr)
- Senior Year Experience (fulfilled within the major)
- Writing Intensive Requirement (fulfilled within Integrative Studies and the major)
See for specifics.
II. Major Requirements (100 hrs)
Note: A minimum grade of C must be achieved in all MUSC and EDUC courses. If a grade lower than C is earned in any MUSC or EDUC course, the course must be repeated in order to count toward the major. Should that course be a prerequisite for subsequent coursework, you must earn a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course before continuing with the subsequent coursework.
A. Core Courses (all courses required)
- MUSC 1000 - Music Theory I 3 hrs
- MUSC 1001 - Music Theory II 3 hrs
- MUSC 1010 - Aural Skills I 1 hr
- MUSC 1011 - Aural Skills II 1 hr
- MUSC 1020 - Piano Class I 1 hr
- MUSC 1021 - Piano Class II 1 hr
- MUSC 1032 - Guitar Methods 1 hr
- MUSC 1033 - Percussion Methods 1 hr
- MUSC 1040 - Introduction to Music 2 hrs
- MUSC 1050 - Exploring the Digital Arts 2 hrs
- MUSC 1080 - Concert Attendance 0 hrs (6 semesters)
- MUSC 1082 - Music Education Practicum 0 hrs (3.5 semesters)
- MUSC 1092 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 1093 - Freshman Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2000 - Music Theory III: Renaissance Through Classical Styles 3 hrs
- MUSC 2001 - Music Theory IV: Romantic Through Contemporary Styles 3 hrs
- MUSC 2010 - Aural Skills III 1 hr
- MUSC 2011 - Aural Skills IV 1 hr
- MUSC 2020 - Piano Class III 1 hr
- MUSC 2021 - Piano Class IV 1 hr
- MUSC 2032 - Woodwind Methods 1 hr
- MUSC 2034 - Accompanying Skills for Choral Educators 1 hr (singers)
- MUSC 2035 - Brass Methods 1 hr
- MUSC 2040 - Music History and Literature I 3 hrs
- MUSC 2080 - Sophomore Conference 0 hrs (1 semester)
- MUSC 2092 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 2093 - Sophomore Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3001 - Orchestration and Arranging 2 hrs
- MUSC 3020 - Conducting I 2 hrs
- MUSC 3032 - Music Methods and Materials for the Elementary School 3 hrs
- MUSC 3036 - String Methods I 1 hr
- MUSC 3037 - String Methods II 1 hr
- MUSC 3040 - Music History and Literature II - Writing Intensive 3 hrs
- MUSC 3041 - Music History and Literature III 3 hrs
- MUSC 3080 - Half Recital .5 hr
- MUSC 3092 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 3093 - Junior Applied Music - BA, BME, BFA Degrees 1 hr
- MUSC 4100 - 4114 Major Ensembles (or MUSC 4150 by permission) 3.5 hrs
- MUSC Electives (not ensembles) 4 hrs
1 course from:
- MUSC 1023 - Voice Class for Music Educators 1 hr (for instrumentalists)
- MUSC 1034 - Vocal Pedagogy and Diction for Choral Music Educators 1 hr
1 course from:
- MUSC 3021 - Conducting II: Choral 2 hrs
- MUSC 3022 - Conducting II: Instrumental 2 hrs
1 course from:
- MUSC 3033 - Instrumental Music Methods and Materials for the Middle and High School 3 hrs
- MUSC 3034 - Choral Music Methods and Materials for the Middle and High School 3 hrs
B. Education (all courses required)
III. Residency Requirements
In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.
At Otterbein, at least 48 semester hours of coursework must be taken in Otterbein classes. MATH 0900 cannot be used to help fulfill this requirement. Of these hours:
- at least 12 semester hours must be taken in each of a student’s majors at the 3000 level or above,
- at least 4 semester hours (any level) must be taken in each minor, and
- the INST dyad must be taken at Otterbein.
IV. Required Total Hours for the Degree (128 hrs)
If the coursework taken to fulfill the General Education Requirements and the requirements in your major do not equal 128 hours, select a sufficient number of electives to achieve that total. In most cases, taking elective work to reach 128 hours will not be necessary since all courses required for this degree program may total 138 hours. If any coursework is waived or is transferred for less credit than its Otterbein equivalent, electives may be necessary in order to reach 128 hours.
V. Minimum GPA Overall and in the Major
A GPA of 2.0 overall as well as in the major must be achieved. To be licensed to teach, a GPA of 2.5 overall must be achieved.
VI. Application for Degree
A prospective graduate must complete an Application for Degree at the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed.