Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

B.S. in Actuarial Science

Otterbein University Course Catalogs

2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 24, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Calendar Definition Registration Priority
Credit Hour Definition Prerequisites and Corequisites
Course Numbering Course Load
Specialized Coursework Withdrawing
Grade Marks Auditing Courses
In-Progress Grades  
Official Transcripts Grading Discrepencies
  Academic Hearing Board
Prior Learning Assessment Catalog Rights
Satisfactory Academic Progress Program Completion Time Limit
  Capstone Committees
PRIVACY OF STUDENT RECORDS Graduation and Commencement


Calendar Definition

Otterbein University operates on the semester calendar. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for significant dates and deadlines for current, future, and previous academic years.

Credit Hour Definition

In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission’s Policy FDCR.A.10.020 and as an institution participating in Title IV federal financial aid, Otterbein University’s assignment of credit hours conforms to the federally mandated definition of the credit hour. Otterbein University also conforms with the Ohio Department of Higher Education’s definition of semester credit hour.

Course Numbering

0000-0999 Remedial-level (does not count towards graduation requirements)
1000-1999 Introductory-level undergraduate
2000-2999 Intermediate-level undergraduate
3000-3999 Advanced intermediate-level undergraduate
4000-4999 Advanced-level undergraduate
5000-5999 Graduate-level (generally open to both graduate and undergraduate students)
6000-6999 Graduate-level
7000-8000 Graduate and Doctoral-level

Specialized Coursework

The following specialized coursework exists within the Otterbein University curriculum and carry reserved course numbers:

  • Experimental Course Topics
    The x910 course number in all curricular prefixes is reserved solely for the purpose of experimental course topics, which may include the testing of new course topics, or the experimental reorganization or redesign of existing courses.
  • Internship​
    The 4900 course number in all curricular prefixes is reserved solely for the purpose of academic internship credit. An internship is a structured academic opportunity that allows students to apply academic skills and knowledge in the work place. A maximum of 15 semester hours of internship credit may be counted toward degree requirements at Otterbein. Internship offerings require permission of instructor and the department chairperson, are repeatable, and may be either standard letter or pass/fail graded.
  • Independent Study
    The x900 course number in all curricular prefixes, at all levels other than the 4000-level, is reserved solely for the purporse of independent study credit. Independent study is an opportunity for qualified students to work in topics of special interest or areas not otherwise available through the standard curriculum. The course content is determined by the student and the faculty member collaboratively. A maximum of 12 semester hours of independent study may be counted toward degree requirements at Otterbein. Of that 12, no more than 6 semester hours may be taken within the major or minor. Independent study offerings require permission of instructor and the department chairperson, are repeatable, and may be either standard letter or pass/fail graded.
  • ​Research
    The x950 course number in all curricular prefixes is reserved solely for the purporse of academic research credit. Students interested in pursuing credit for research in their chosen discipline should consult with their advisor about the possible options available. Research offerings require permission of instructor and the department chairperson, are repeatable, and may be either standard letter or pass/fail graded.

Grade Marks

The following grade marks from standard letter-graded courses are included in the calculation of the grade point average. The numeric equivalents to the letter grades are displayed with the % symbol.

Grade GPA Points Percentage Equivalent Performance
A 4.000 100-93% Exceptional
A- 3.700 92-90% Excellent
B+ 3.300 89-87% Above average
B 3.000 86-83% Above average
B- 2.700 82-80% Above average
C+ 2.300 79-77% Average
C 2.000 76-73% Average
C- 1.700 72-70% Below average
D+ 1.300 69-67% Below average
D 1.000 66-60% Below average
F 0.000 59% and below Failing

The following grades are not included in the calculation of the GPA:

IP Coursework in-progress (incomplete)
NR Grade not reported by instructor
P Pass (pass/fail graded course)
F. Fail (pass/fail graded course)
T Transfer credit
W Withdrawn
AU Audit

In-Progress Grades

In-progress (IP) is the temporary grade given when course requirements have not been met due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An IP should only be considered when the majority of the work required for the course has already been finished. The pressures of a normal academic load or the desire to do extra work in the course are not sufficient reasons for granting an IP.

The amount of additional time permitted might be no more than a few days or weeks since it should be proportional to the student’s illness or absence, etc. while remaining fair to others who were enrolled in the course. The IP must be completed no later than the following applicable deadline, or sooner if prescribed by the instructor:

  • Fall Semester and Cardinal Term IP’s: the last day of the following Spring Semester
  • Spring and Summer Semester IP’s: the last day of the following Fall Semester

Due to extraordinary circumstances, an IP completion deadline may be considered for extension. To receive consideration, the student (not the instructor) must submit a written request/rationale to the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies no later than the seventh Friday of the term the IP is due for completion.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to arrange for completion of the work, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to submit the final grade. When no grade is received, the default grade previously provided by the instructor will be assigned.

Pass/Fail Grading

A pass/fail grade may be assigned to any graduate-level course that has been approved by the University’s Curriculum Committee for pass/fail grading and is selected as the grading scale by the faculty, as noted on the syllabus. A “pass” grade demonstrates a level of student performance that is no lower than the lowest grade accepted by each graduate program and no lower than a grade of C (73-76%).

Official Transcripts

Otterbein University has partnered with Parchment for transcript ordering and fulfillment services. All transcript orders must be placed online. You may order a copy of your official Otterbein academic transcript here.




Academic Standing

Graduate students must maintain a 3.000 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Graduate students will be placed on academic probation when the cumulative overall GPA falls below 3.000. If a student’s cumulative GPA for a semester falls below a 3.000, a review by The Graduate School will be conducted and a decision regarding status will be made. Written notice of academic probation will be sent to the student and the Graduate Director of the student’s academic department. A student may be on probation only once during the program of study. A probationary period consists of twelve calendar months. Students must raise their cumulative GPA to 3.000 or above during the next 12 calendar months in required or elective courses. If a student’s GPA does not meet the minimal standard of a 3.000 after 12 calendar months or the cumulative GPA falls below 3.000 a second time, the student will be dismissed from the program, The Graduate School and Otterbein University.

Grades of B-, C+, and C, while acceptable in meeting graduate degree requirements in some programs, are considered “marginal progress” outcomes. Any such outcome, or a cumulative GPA that falls below 3.0, or a Satisfactory Academic Progress rate that falls below expectations, warrants an academic advising conversation between the advisor and student, and possibly with the program chair or the Associate Provost of Graduate Studies. In some cases, students making marginal progress in selected courses may be required to repeat and achieve a grade of satisfactory progress in these select courses to continue in the program of study.

Through the advising process, the University may direct the student to improve graduate-level academic skills (e.g., through a formal study of writing or use of other academic support resources), to take a reduced academic load or to take other steps to promote academic success.

In addition to the University academic standing policy outlined above, some programs may have grade policies that must also be satisfied in order to continue the program. Please refer to the program’s section of this catalog for any additional academic or grade specific requirements.

Prior Learning Assessment

Credit for prior learning may be granted as designated and approved by the individual graduate programs. For inquiries please contact the Graduate Program Director of your program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained in order to remain eligible for federal aid consideration. The Office of Student Financial Services evaluates SAP after the completion of each academic period (summer, fall, and spring). All terms of enrollment, including summer, must be considered in the determination of SAP (even periods in which the student did not receive federal student aid funds must be counted).  Qualitative measures (GPA and PACE) and quantitative measures (maximum time frame) are evaluated.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree is determined by three tests:
1. Academic Standing, the appropriate GPA based upon credit hours as outlined above;
2. An undergraduate student’s successful completion of credit hours attempted (PACE); and
3. The completion of one’s degree within a reasonable time period.

PACE - Credit Hours Attempted versus Hours Earned: To maintain eligibility for federal student financial assistance, a student must successfully complete two-thirds (67%) of the credit hours attempted.  Pace is defined as total hours completed divided by total hours attempted.  Any course with a grade of “F” (failing), “W” (withdrawal), or “IP” (in progress) on the student’s academic transcript is considered an unsuccessful completion of hours attempted. Once the “IP” has been completed, the grade will stand as either successful or unsuccessful completion as mandated by the Federal Government.

Degree Completion Timeframe: In addition to completing two-thirds of the credit hours attempted, a student must also complete his/her academic program within a reasonable timeframe, not to exceed 150% of the published length of the program. All periods of attendance are counted towards the maximum timeframe.

Since Academic Standing and SAP are interrelated, a student may meet an adequate Academic Standing level (higher than a 2.0 cumulative GPA, for example), but not meet SAP standards. If the student has not successfully completed enough classes (those classes with a “D” or above on the academic transcript) to meet the two-thirds (67%) earned hour rate, he or she would not be making SAP for federal financial aid purposes.

Re-establishing eligibility for students failing Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP):  The first time a student fails Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) they will be placed on a “warning status.”  A student on warning status may receive one term of financial aid.  If a student on warning fails to achieve SAP, they may submit an appeal. Student failing SAP may be required to submit a written plan signed off by a member of the Center for Student Success. The SAP Appeal form may be used for this purpose and is available in the Office of Student Financial Services or through the website in the forms section. SAP is administered by the Office of Student Financial Services.

Graduate students are considered to be making SAP for purposes of financial aid eligibility only if they are in good academic standing with Otterbein University.




Registration Priority

For returning students, registration for the Fall and Spring Semesters occurs during or after week 10 of the prior term. Graduate students who are newly admitted for an upcoming semester will be eligible to register after currently enrolled students.

Eligibility to register for an upcoming term is based on a student’s account being in paid status. Students with any type of registration hold will be blocked from registering until the hold is cleared. The University reserves the right to refuse registration to a student who is failing to make satisfactory progress toward his or her degree.

For complete information on academic dates and deadlines for all terms, please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Prerequisites and Corequisites

Prerequisites or corequisites are requirements which are judged necessary for the successful completion of a course, and are detailed within the course description. Students who register for a course without succesfully completing the prerequisite or corequisite are subject to being withdrawn from the course by the instructor or the Office of the Registrar.

Course Load

Graduate students enrolled for at least 6 credit hours during Summer, Fall, or Spring Semesters will be considered full-time. Half-time is defined as 3 credit hours.


Students who wish to fully withdraw from all registered courses must do the following:

  1. Please check the Academic Calendar for all applicable deadlines to determine whether you are still within the withdrawal period. Once the last day to drop a class with a W has passed for any given term or part of term, you are no longer able to withdraw and will receive a final letter grade for all active registered courses.
  2. Drop your classes via Self-Service Banner. Make sure that you drop all classes in the current term, as well as classes for which you are registered in future terms if you are not planning to return. The date on which you drop your classes becomes the official date of withdrawal. Only students who withdraw from all registered courses in a term or part of term are eligible for any amount of refund. Please see the Academic Calendar for applicable refund deadlines.
  3. Contact Student Financial Services to determine the impact withdrawing may have on your financial aid, ensure you have no outstanding financial obligations, and complete an exit interview for any student loans.
  4. If you have a University housing and/or a meal contract, contact Residence Life to terminate your contact.

A registered student is considered to be enrolled until officially withdrawn. If a student never attends or stops attending classes without officially withdrawing, the registration will not automatically be removed, and the student is financially responsible for any and all charges applied.

Auditing Courses

All requests to audit courses are subject to final approval by the Office of the Registrar. Among courses that may not be audited are those that consume laboratory, computer, or other additional program resources and those in high demand by credit-seeking students. Demand fluctuates, meaning at some point in time any course has the potential of not being available for audit. Full-time students are not permitted to audit courses.

Audit expectations are determined by the instructor and thus may vary from course to course. It is the student’s responsibility to discuss expectations with the instructor prior to the start of the class or no later than the first class meeting. Changes from audit to credit or credit to audit must be made during the published add/drop period. A grade of AU will appear on the transcript record. An audit may not be substituted for a required class; required classes must be taken for credit.




Grading Discrepancies

Grades submitted to the Office of the Registrar are considered final unless evidence of an error can be presented, or the student is convinced his or her academic performance was evaluated in a prejudiced or capricious manner on anything other than on an academic basis. Grades may not be changed by arranging to complete additional work or by meeting criteria not in accord with those applied to all other students enrolled in the course.

To appeal a grade, the student must consult with the instructor (or the department chairperson when the instructor is unavailable) no later than 12 months from the grading deadline for any given term. Signatures of both the instructor and the instructor’s department chairperson are required to change a grade.

When a grading issue cannot be resolved through discussions with the instructor or department chairperson, the student may present evidence in writing to the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies indicating an error, the prejudicial basis, or the capricious manner used in evaluating his or her performance. The Associate Provost for Graduate Studies will consult with the student and instructor after which the appeal may be passed on to the Student Appeals Council for its consultation and judgment. The actual grade change, if deemed in order by the Student Appeals Council, shall be determined by the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies in consultation with the student and the instructor involved (or the applicable Department Chairperson if the instructor is unavailable).

Academic Hearing Board

The Academic Hearing Board, which is a standing committee of the Otterbein University Senate, provides students with a venue for appealing academic policies. Details regarding the appeal process are available from Student Success and Career Development.




Catalog Rights

The degree requirements of Otterbein University that are in effect at the time of the student’s first enrollment are those which must be met for completion of a degree program. Subsequent changes in degree requirements may be substituted with the approval of the department chairperson or Academic Hearing Board, whichever is appropriate. Students who interrupt their enrollment at Otterbein for longer than 12 consecutive months must meet the requirements for graduation as published in the catalog at the time of re-enrollment.

Program Completion Time Limit

After a student has been admitted to a graduate program, continuous progress towards completion of the degree is expected. The time limit for the completion of graduate course work is 5 years for the Master of Arts in Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Arts in Educational Mathematics, Master of Science in Allied Health, Master of Science in Athletic Training, and Master of Business Administration programs. The time limit is 6 years for the Master of Science in Nursing and DNP programs, except for the Nurse Anesthesia program which has a 4 year time limit, and 3 years for the Post-Masters in Nursing programs. The time limit is computed from the first date credit is recorded on the college transcript until completion of the program curriculum requirements. Extensions are only considered if there is adequate and unusual cause beyond the control of the student for failure to meet the time limit policy.

Petitions requesting extension of the time limit must be submitted to the Graduate Program Director of the MAE, MAT, MAEM, MSAH, MSAT, or MBA programs. Petitions requesting extension of the time limit for graduate nursing programs must be submitted to the department’s Curriculum Committee. Consideration of petitions will take into account whether or not there is a reasonable plan for completion, and the individual’s knowledge and skills meet current program goals. If approved, an official letter that stipulates the terms of the extension will be sent to the student and his/her academic advisor, and a copy will be placed in the student’s file in the Graduate School office. If a petition is denied, a student has the right to appeal the decision. After meeting with the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies, a student may appeal to the Academic Hearing Board.

Capstone Committees

Graduate programs with a capstone requirement constitute committees to advise and evaluate final projects. Students should consult their advisor and their program’s student handbook for the specific function and composition of committees in their program. One individual on each capstone committee serves as the graduate program representative; the role of the representative is to ensure that all policies and procedures, approved by the University Graduate Committee and outlined in program handbooks, are followed. This individual must sign an official Capstone Approval Form before it is submitted to the Office of the Registrar and The Graduate School.

Graduation and Commencement

Degrees are granted at the end of Summer, Fall, and Spring Semesters. Students planning to graduate must submit a Graduation Application one term prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this requirement, to initiate the request, and to submit the application on time.

A commencement ceremony is held after the conclusion of each Spring Semester, signaling the end of the academic year. All graduates (Summer, Fall, and Spring) are invited to participate. Guest seating is limited. Students must submit a Graduation Application as described above and receive approval to participate in the commencement ceremony.





The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights in connection with educational records maintained at Otterbein University.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Otterbein University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the records(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

It the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Otterbein University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Otterbein University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Otterbein University.
The University reserves the right to notify parents or guardians of “dependent” students, regardless of the student’s age or status, of conduct in health and safety emergencies, hospitalization, or where in the University’s judgment the health or well-being of the student, or others, is, or may be at risk.

4. Students, parents, and foreign government agencies supporting dependent students have access rights to the educational records maintained about them during their enrollment.
a. “Dependent” means being listed as such on the parents’ annual federal income tax statement, or (in the case of foreign students) receiving at least 50 percent or more of their support from parents or foreign government agencies.
b. Students who are independent of their parents must file an annual statement by September 30 to this effect on a form available in the Student Affairs office.
c. Non-immigrant foreign students have agreed to give the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) access to certain information as is outlined on the non-immigrant’s form I-20 (page 2) or DS-2019 (page 2). Records pertaining to these students and documents are maintained in the Center for International Education and Global Engagement.

5. Certain educational records exempt from this access are as follows:
a. Records in the sole possession of a professor, physician, counselor, psychologist, or the law enforcement unit of Otterbein University.
b. Parental financial statements, and
c. Recommendations for which the student has waived rights of access.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, with Otterbein University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of 99.34. (99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U. S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the University’s State-supported educational programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of 99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to 99.36. (99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under 99.37. (99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (99.31(a)(13))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (99.31(a)(15))

6. “Directory Information” can be furnished without the students’ permission and is listed below:

  • Name
  • Address - campus and home
  • Telephone numbers - campus, home, and/or cell phone
  • E-mail address - campus
  • Campus SMC number
  • Enrollment type
  • Date and place of birth
  • Field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance at Otterbein University
  • Degrees and awards received while attending Otterbein University
  • Most recent educational agency or institution attended by students
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Photograph
  • High school of student
  • Greek affiliation
  • Class rank of student
  • SID can be displayed on Student ID Card

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Otterbein University to comply with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)