Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

B.S. in Actuarial Science

Otterbein University Course Catalogs

2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
    Sep 18, 2020  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]


Academic Calendar

Academic and Enrollment Standards
General Admission Requirements
International Students Admission Requirements
Credit Hour Definition
Academic Standing (requirements for continued enrollment)
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Program-Specific Policies
Plagiarism, Cheating and Dishonesty
The Appeals Process
Leave of Absence/Change of Catalog Year
Program Completion: Time Limit
Program Completion: Capstone Committees

Academic Support
Courtright Memorial Library
Academic Advising
Academic Support Center (and tutoring)
Center for Career and Professional Development
Office of Disability Services

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Grading System
Grade Symbols
In-Progress (IP) Grades
Grade Discrepancies (grade changes)
Transcript of Academic Work

Applying for a Degree

Registration Policies
Auditing Courses
Change of Schedule: adding or dropping classes
Change of Schedule: withdrawal from all classes
Enrollment Status Definition (full-time; half-time)
Registration Timetable and Priority



Otterbein University operates on a semester basis.  Refer to the on-line calendar here for further calendar information.


General Admission Requirements

Admission to Graduate programs at Otterbein University is open to graduates from institutions of higher education that are fully accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agencies. While each program has its own admission criteria (approved by the University Graduate Committee), all programs require that candidates give evidence of the intellectual, academic and personal abilities to succeed in graduate studies. Admission shall not be denied on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, color, disability, sexual orientation, national/ethnic origin, political affiliation, marital or veteran status. If a student feels that a negative admission decision has been arrived at in a prejudiced or capricious manner, the student may appeal to the Student Appeals Board by contacting Amy Lux at 614-823-1591 or at

International Students Admission Requirements

If a student’s academic credentials are from an institution outside the United States, a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation of all postsecondary education must be provided. WES charges a fee for this service. WES details and instructions are available at their website: Foreign credential evaluations completed by other agencies must be approved by the Dean of The Graduate School. All contents of the student’s admission file become the legal property of the University and are not returnable or transferrable.

Application deadlines for International Students
February 1 - Summer Term
April 1 - Fall Term
November 1 - Spring Term

Language Requirements
TOEFL ibt = 79
TOEFL ppt = 550
IELTS = 6.5

A Graduate School representative serves on each of the departmental admission committees. All admission decisions are reported in writing to The Graduate School.

Credit Hour Definition

In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission’s Policy FDCR.A.10.020 and as an institution participating in Title IV federal financial aid, Otterbein University’s assignment of credit hours conforms to the federally mandated definition of the credit hour, which can be found on the HLC website.

A statement with a more specific definition in compliance with the Department of Higher Education can be found on the ODHE website.

Academic Standing (requirements for continued enrollment)

Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 (B) cumulative average. Graduate students will be placed on academic probation when the cumulative overall GPA falls below 3.0. If a student’s cumulative GPA for a semester falls below a 3.0, a review by The Graduate School office will be conducted and a decision regarding status will be made. Written notice of academic probation will be sent to the student and the Graduate Director of the student’s academic department. A student may be on probation only once during the program of study. A probationary period consists of twelve calendar months. Students must raise their cumulative GPA to 3.0 or above during the next 12 calendar months in required or elective courses. If a student’s GPA does not meet the minimal standard of a 3.00 after 12 calendar months or the cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 a second time, the student will be dismissed from the program, The Graduate School and Otterbein University.

Grades of B-, C+, and C, while acceptable in meeting graduate degree requirements in some programs, are considered “marginal progress” outcomes. Any such outcome, or a cumulative GPA that falls below 3.0, or a Satisfactory Academic Progress rate that falls below expectations, warrants an academic advising conversation between the advisor and student, and possibly with the program chair or the Dean of The Graduate School. In some cases, students making marginal progress in selected courses may be required to repeat and achieve a grade of satisfactory progress in these select courses to continue in the program of study.

Through the advising process, the University may direct the student to improve graduate-level academic skills (e.g., through a formal study of writing or use of other academic support resources), to take a reduced academic load or to take other steps to promote academic success.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained in order to remain eligible for Federal Aid consideration. The Office of Student Financial Services evaluates SAP after the completion of each academic period (Summer, fall, and spring). All terms of enrollment, including summer, must be considered in the determination of SAP (even periods in which the student did not receive federal student aid funds must be counted). Qualitative measures (GPA and PACE) and quantitative measures (maximum time frame) are evaluated.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree is determined by three tests:
1. Academic Standing, the appropriate GPA based upon credit hours as outlined above;
2. A Graduate student’s successful completion of credit hours attempted (PACE); and
3. The completion of one’s degree within a reasonable time period.

PACE - Credit Hours Attempted versus Hours Earned: To maintain eligibility for federal student financial assistance, a student must successfully complete two-thirds (67%) of the credit hours attempted. Any course with a grade of “F” (failing), “W” (withdrawal), or “IP” (in progress) on the student’s academic transcript is considered an unsuccessful completion of hours attempted. Once the “IP” has been completed, the grade will stand as either successful or unsuccessful completion as mandated by the Federal Government.

Degree Completion Timeframe: In addition to completing two-thirds of the credit hours attempted, a student must also complete his/her academic program within a reasonable timeframe, not to exceed 150% of the published length of the program. All periods of attendance are counted towards the maximum timeframe.

Since Academic Standing and SAP are interrelated, a student may meet an adequate Academic Standing level (higher than a 3.0 cumulative GPA, for example), but not meet SAP standards. If the student has not successfully completed enough classes (those classes with a “C” or above on the academic transcript) to meet the two-thirds (67%) earned hour rate, he or she would not be making SAP for federal financial aid purposes.

Re-establishing eligibility for students failing Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP):  The first time a student fails Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) they will be placed on a “warning status”. A student on warning status may receive one term of financial aid. If a student on warning fails SAP, they may submit an appeal. Student failing SAP may be required to submit a written plan signed off by a member of the Center for Student Success. The SAP Appeal form may be used for this purpose and is available in the Office of Student Financial Services or through the website in the forms section. SAP is administered by the Office of Student Financial Services (614-823-1502).

Graduate students are considered to be making SAP for purposes of financial aid eligibility only if they are in good academic standing with Otterbein University.

Program-Specific Policies

In addition to the University academic standing policy outlined above, some programs may have grade policies that must also be satisfied in order to continue the program. Please refer to the program’s section of this catalog for any additional academic or grade specific requirements.

Plagiarism, Cheating and Dishonesty

Please click on the following link for information on this section in the Campus Life Handbook:


The Appeals Process

  1. A graduate student may file an appeal once the student has completed the departmental student grievance process and has been heard by the Student Conduct Board or the Academic Hearing Board. Students are first expected to express their views and try to resolve the conflict on an informal basis. Ample opportunities exist for students to express these views and concerns through individual and/or small group discussion. Departmental policies are required by the Ohio Administrative Code, Rule 4723-5-12. Graduate students may file an appeal to the Student Appeals Board.

    Departmental policies and processes contacts:
    Allied Health:  Contact the Department of Health & Sport Sciences at 614-823-3528
    Business:  Contact the Department of Business, Accounting & Economics at 614-823-1310
    Education:  Contact the Graduate Program Director, Department of Education at 614-823-1214
    Educational Mathematics:  Contact the Graduate Program Director, Department of Mathematical Sciences at 614-823-1218
    Nursing:  Contact the Department of Nursing at 614-823-1614

Leave of Absence/Change of Catalog Year

Students who interrupt their enrollment at Otterbein University or in an Otterbein University approved program for longer than 12 consecutive months must meet the requirements for graduation as published in the catalog at the time of re-enrollment.

Program Completion: Time Limit

After a student has been admitted to a graduate program, continuous progress toward completion of the degree is expected. The time limit for the completion of graduate course work is 5 years for the Master of Arts in Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Arts in Educational Mathematics, Master of Science in Allied Health, and Master of Business Administration programs. The time limit is 6 years for the Master of Science in Nursing and DNP programs, (except the Nurse Anesthesia program which has a 4 year time limit) and 3 years for the Post Masters in Nursing programs. The time limit is computed from the first date credit is recorded on the college transcript until completion of the program curriculum requirements. Extensions are only considered if there is adequate and unusual cause beyond the control of the student for failure to meet the time limit policy. Petitions requesting extension of the time limit must be submitted to the Graduate Program Director for the MAE, MAT, MAEM, MSAH, and MBA programs. Petitions requesting extension of the time limit for graduate Nursing programs must be submitted to the Department’s Curriculum Committee.

Consideration of petitions will take into account whether or not: 1) there is a reasonable plan for completion and 2) the individual’s knowledge and skills meet current program goals. If approved, an official letter that stipulates the terms of the extension will be sent to the student and his/her academic advisor, and a copy will be placed in the student’s file in the Graduate School office.

If a petition is denied, a student has the right to appeal the decision. After meeting with the Dean of The Graduate School, a student can appeal to the Academic Hearing Board.

Program Completion: Capstone Committees

Graduate programs with a capstone requirement constitute committees to advise and evaluate final projects. Students should consult their advisor and their program’s student handbook for the specific function and composition of committees in their program. One individual on each capstone committee serves as the graduate program representative; the role of the representative is to ensure that all policies and procedures, approved by the University Graduate Committee and outlined in program handbooks, are followed. This individual must sign an official Capstone Approval Form before it is submitted to the Office of the Registrar and The Graduate School.



Courtright Memorial Library

The Mission of the Courtright Memorial Library is to actively engage in and contribute to the teaching, learning and research needs of the entire Otterbein community. As intellectual partners in the quest for knowledge, the library staff provides access to information, develops a diverse collection, and nurtures critical thinking skills to develop self-sufficient, life-long learners.

The Courtright Memorial Library includes over 500,000 books, periodicals (journals and magazines) - in both print and digital formats, along with Blu-Rays/DVDs, videotapes, microforms, federal government publications, records, and other instructional materials to support the curricular and co-curricular needs of students, faculty, and staff of Otterbein University. Both print and non-print materials (such as Blu-Rays) are shelved together to make it easier to find related items. The library supports textbook affordability in many ways, including the provision of many text and course books via Course Reserves and our circulating collection.  The library offers laptop computers, data projectors, digital cameras, digital camcorders, and other equipment for checkout to the Otterbein University community. There are three computer labs located within the building and wireless connectivity is available throughout the library facility.

The Otter Bean Café, which is operated by Bon Appétit, provides food, beverages, wireless connectivity, and comfortable seating. Restroom facilities and three classrooms are available in this area. Food and drink are permitted throughout the library facility.

The library is a part of a consortium of 25 private colleges and universities, called OPAL. OPAL provides a shared online catalog, circulation, reserve, and cataloging system. The system can be accessed through the campus network or Internet providers from computer labs, homes, offices, or dormitories. Membership in OPAL allows Otterbein to belong to the statewide consortium called OhioLINK. Through OhioLINK membership, students, faculty, and staff may request materials from other Ohio academic libraries, either electronically or by visiting that library. Any items not owned by another Ohio academic library can be obtained through resource sharing agreements via Interlibrary Loan. Membership in OhioLINK also provides access to vital electronic resources (both journals and books), such as; the EBSCO suite of databases (includes general research resources within Academic Search Complete to the more discipline-specific resources of Cinahl, Environmental Complete, ERIC, Medline, and SPORTDiscus), Lexis-Nexis, Safari and the Electronic Journal Center.  The strength of OhioLINK membership provides access to over 46 million library items!

The library staff strives to provide the best service possible to help students, faculty, staff, and community users find the information they require. Reference assistance is available both in the library and remotely. Please contact us by visiting the library or by phone, email, and/or instant messaging.

Information about the library is available at

Academic Advising

Students are assigned a faculty member as their academic advisor. The advising process is an ongoing series of consultations between the student and the advisor. Advising involves both the development and communication of accurate information regarding degree programs, courses, resources, academic policies/procedures and career opportunities intended to help students in achieving their educational goals. Both the advisee and the advisor share the responsibility of being active participants in the advising process. However, the student is responsible for making decisions regarding personal and educational goals and satisfying all graduation requirements.

Academic Support Center

Through individual instruction and collaborative learning, the Academic Support Center (ASC) helps students develop and strengthen the skills necessary to attain their academic goals.  All ASC services are free of charge for Otterbein students. The ASC: offers courses in  Learning Strategies for College Success and Argumentative Writing; coordinates course-specific academic support via Content Area Tutoring, the Math Lab, the Writing Center, and Supplemental Instruction; provides academic counseling related to learning, time management, organization, and study strategies; supports English Language Learners through Conversation Tables; and, hires, trains, and supervises peer tutors who possess strong content knowledge, study strategies, and communication skills.

The ASC serves a wide range of students: students struggling academically, students in need of accommodations, and high-achieving students wanting to learn more effectively. Students are encouraged to contact the ASC if they have concerns related to their learning, academic progress, or course work. For nursing students who are English Language Learners, please refer to the Nursing Department Policy for extra time on examinations.

Office of Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) works closely with qualified students with disabilities to ensure they have equal access to an education and campus life.  ODS provides student access through services, accommodations, and advocacy, as specified in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.

ODS serves all Otterbein students with documented disabilities including learning disabilities, ADHD, physical disabilities, medical disorders, visual and hearing impairments, psychiatric disorders, and temporary diagnoses.  Some of the accommodations provided by ODS may include testing accommodations, note-taking assistance, alternative media, priority registration, interpreting services.  All ODS services are free of charge for Otterbein students.

In order to receive accommodations, students must provide ODS with appropriate documentation.  For documentation guidelines or additional information, please contact a member of the ODS staff at 614.823.1610 or visit our website:

ODS is located on the second floor of Courtright Memorial Library (main office is room 229) and is part of the Academic Support Center.

Center for Career and Professional Development

The Center for Career and Professional Development provides services and resources including self-assessment, academic and career exploration, assistance with resumes, cover letters, practice interviews, professional networking opportunities, and job search strategies. Contact the Center for Career and Professional Development at 614-823-1456, or visit us online at




The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights in connection with educational records maintained at Otterbein University.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Otterbein University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the records(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

It the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Otterbein University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Otterbein University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Otterbein University.
The University reserves the right to notify parents or guardians of “dependent” students, regardless of the student’s age or status, of conduct in health and safety emergencies, hospitalization, or where in the University’s judgment the health or well-being of the student, or others, is, or may be at risk.

4. Students, parents, and foreign government agencies supporting dependent students have access rights to the educational records maintained about them during their enrollment.
a. “Dependent” means being listed as such on the parents’ annual federal income tax statement, or (in the case of foreign students) receiving at least 50 percent or more of their support from parents or foreign government agencies.
b. Students who are independent of their parents must file an annual statement by September 30 to this effect on a form available in the Student Affairs office.
c. Non-immigrant foreign students have agreed to give the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) access to certain information as is outlined on the non-immigrant’s form I-20 (page 2) or DS-2019 (page 2). Records pertaining to these students and documents are maintained in the Center for International Education and Global Engagement.

5. Certain educational records exempt from this access are as follows:
a. Records in the sole possession of a professor, physician, counselor, psychologist or the law enforcement unit of Otterbein University.
b. Parental financial statements, and
c. Recommendations for which the student has waived rights of access.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, with Otterbein University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of 99.34. (99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U. S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the University’s State-supported educational programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of 99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to 99.36. (99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under 99.37. (99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (99.31(a)(13))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (99.31(a)(15))

6. “Directory Information” can be furnished without the students’ permission and is listed below:
a. Name
b. Address - campus and home
c. Telephone numbers - campus, home, and/or cell phone
d. E-mail address - campus
e. Campus SMC number
f. Enrollment type
g. Date and place of birth
h. Field of study
i. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
j. Dates of attendance at Otterbein University
k. Degrees and awards received while attending Otterbein University
l. Most recent educational agency or institution attended by students
m. Weight and height of members of athletic teams
n. Photograph
o. High school of student
p. Greek affiliation
q. Class rank of student
r. SID can be displayed on Student ID Card

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Otterbein University to comply with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901



Grade Symbols

Graduate education is a process of academic exploration reserved for students who are committed to the high level of work demanded by a master’s degree program. Graduate students are, therefore, held to a higher standard of achievement than undergraduate students. In order to reflect the minimum levels of achievement necessary to award a graduate degree, the grading scales are considerably different than those applied to undergraduates. Specifically, for graduate courses, “A” level work is exemplary, “B” level work is satisfactory, and “B-” or below work does not meet expectations. Grading policies specific to each program are described in the online graduate catalog.

Each student can access his/her grades at the end of the term online via Self-Service Banner at A permanent transcript of all course work attempted and grades earned is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

The following grades from letter-graded courses are included in the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). The numeric equivalents to the letter grades are displayed with the % symbol.

A 4.0 100-93% exceptional
A- 3.7 92-90% excellent
B+ 3.3 89-87% satisfactory
B 3.0 86-83% satisfactory
B- 2.7 82-80% below average
C+ 2.3 79-77% below average
C 2.0 76-73% below average
C- 1.7 72-70% failure
D+ 1.3 69-67% failure
D 1.0 66-60% failure
F 0.0 under 60% failure

The following grades are not included in the calculation of the GPA:

AU audit
F. failure from pass/fail graded course
IP coursework incomplete (in-progress); temporary condition
NR grade not reported by instructor; temporary condition
P pass from pass/fail graded course
R repeated course
T transfer credit from another institution
W withdrawal

In-Progress (IP) Grades

“IP” is the temporary symbol given when course requirements have not been met due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An incomplete grade should only be considered when the majority of the work required for the course has already been finished. The pressures of a normal academic load or the desire to do extra work in the course are not sufficient reasons for granting an in-progress grade.

The amount of additional time permitted might be no more than a few days or weeks since it should be proportional to the student’s illness or absence, etc. while remaining fair to others who were enrolled in the course. The IP must be completed no later than the following applicable deadline or sooner if prescribed by the instructor: for Fall IP’s, the last day of the Spring classes; for Cardinal Term classes, the last day of Spring classes; for Spring, May Term and Summer IP’s, the last day of Fall classes.

Due to extraordinary circumstances, an IP completion deadline may be considered for extension. To receive consideration, the student (not the instructor) must submit a written request/rationale to the Dean of the Graduate School no later than the seventh Friday of the term that the IP is due for completion.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to arrange for completion of the work, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to submit the final grade. When no grade is received, the default grade previously provided by the instructor will be assigned.

Grade Discrepancies (grade changes)

Grades submitted to the Office of the Registrar are considered final unless (1) evidence of an error can be presented, or (2) the student is convinced that academic performance was evaluated on other than an academic basis or in a prejudiced or capricious manner. Grades may not be changed by arranging to complete additional work or by meeting criteria not in accord with those applied to all other students enrolled in the course.

To appeal a grade, the student must consult with the instructor (or the department chairperson when the instructor is away from campus) no later than the following applicable deadline: for Fall and Cardinal Term grades, the end of Week Four of Spring Semester; for Spring and Summer grades, the end of Week Four of Fall Semester. Resolution and submission of the revised grade to the Office of the Registrar must occur by the end of those respective semesters. Signatures of both the instructor and the instructor’s department chairperson are required to change a grade.

When a grading issue cannot be resolved through discussions with the instructor or department chairperson, the student may appeal their grade to the Student Appeals Board.

Transcript of Academic Work

Order your Otterbein academic transcript on-line here.



Applying for a Degree

Degrees are granted at the end of Summer, Fall and Spring Semesters. Students planning to graduate must request a Graduation Application at the Office of the Registrar one term prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this requirement, to initiate the request and to sign/return the application on time.


The Graduate commencement ceremony is held in April/May and all graduates (Summer, Fall and Spring) are invited to participate. To participate, a student must:

  • complete all academic degree requirements, and
  • submit a completed Graduation Application, and
  • submit any additional paperwork as required in the Graduation Application, and
  • meet all outstanding financial obligations.

When a graduate student is within one term of fulfilling degree requirements (being the summer term immediately after commencement), Otterbein University is receptive to permitting participation in commencement. A student must submit an email request to seeking approval.

Requests to participate in the spring commencement will be accepted beginning at the start of Spring Semester and accepted thru April 15.

Approval is contingent upon the following:
You must have a Graduation Application on file with the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will check your degree audit in Banner to assure that you are registered in the next summer semester for the only courses remaining to be completed. You will be expected to do the same before submitting the email request.

Considerations for exceptions to this policy must be submitted to Academic Hearing Board. Petitions should be submitted prior to April of the intended Commencement Year.

The course(s) needed to graduate must be taken in the Summer Term that immediately follows commencement. Your email request must be sent no later than April 15.

Once the email request is received, the Registrar will respond shortly thereafter via email confirming approval and providing other details.

Detailed information about the commencement ceremony is available at any time on the Office of the Registrar’s website,



Auditing Courses

The Graduate School permits students to audit classes. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the course instructor for permission. The instructor has the discretion to deny the audit request. Once instructor permission is granted, the student must email the Office of the Registrar at requesting permission to audit a course.  All requests to audit courses are subject to the final approval by the Office of the registrar.  The Office of the Registrar will determine whether there is room in the class and that necessary prerequisites are met. While no credit is given for auditing a course, a grade of AU will appear on the transcript record. An audit may not be substituted for a required class. The required class must be taken for credit. Auditing students are not permitted to take clinical classes, or courses involving significant technology, etc. The Office of the Registrar will notify the Graduate School of the approval to audit a course.

If a non-matriculated student wishes to audit a graduate class, all of the above conditions, procedures and restrictions apply.

Change of Schedule: adding or dropping classes

For complete information on academic dates and deadlines for all terms refer to the on-line academic calendar.

Fall and Spring Semester
For full session classes the deadline to add a course is the second Monday of the semester.

Full session classes may be dropped through Friday of Week 5 without a grade appearing on the student’s academic record. After that date, through Friday of Week 9, students will receive a grade notation of “W” for a dropped class.

Once the W period has ended, students may not drop any classes and will receive the grade that has been earned.

For 1st and 2nd half courses during the Fall and Spring Semester, refer to the on-line academic calendar.

Cardinal Term
Refer to the on-line academic calendar

Summer Semester
Refer to the online academic calendar for dates and deadlines of the various sessions.

Change of Schedule: withdrawal from all classes

Any student who wishes to fully withdrawal from all registered courses must do the following:

  1. Notify the Office of the Registrar at  The date of the notification becomes the official date of withdrawal.
  2. If within the deadline date for dropping a class, a student must drop all classes using MyBanner. If the deadline to drop/withdrawal has passed, the withdrawal will be indicated as effective with the start of the next full semester (fall or spring).
  3. Contact the Business Office regarding any outstanding financial obligations which are due and make payment arrangements.
  4. Contact IT for information regarding your Otterbein email and O-Zone login-in credentials

A registered student is considered to be enrolled until officially withdrawn.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar of intent to withdraw.  If a student never attends or stops attending classes without officially withdrawing, the registration will not automatically be removed and the student is financially responsible for any and all charges applied.

Enrollment Status Definition (full-time; half-time)

Full-time graduate course load is defined as 6 semester hours. Half-time is defined as 3 semester hours. Graduate students will be charged a per-credit-hour rate for graduate level courses regardless of the number of hours carried. Graduate students enrolled at least half-time are eligible for financial aid.


Prerequisites (prereq) or corequisites (coreq) are requirements which are judged necessary for the successful completion of a course. Students who register for a course without taking the prerequisite or corequisite are subject to being withdrawn from the course by the instructor or the Registrar.
Waiver of the prerequisites for a course is generally discouraged but may be done occasionally on a case-by-case basis. This waiver may be granted only by the instructor of the course after that instructor’s assessment of the specific student’s history and experiences. Prior to granting the waiver, the instructor must be reasonably assured that the student has had courses, background experiences, or abilities which would generally be equivalent to, or serve to negate the necessity of, the prerequisites. The instructor must also be reasonably assured that the student will not be at an educational disadvantage compared to students who have completed the prerequisites. Waiver of a prerequisite by the instructor does not, expressly or by implication, constitute a representation or assurance of the successful completion of the course. The student remains fully responsible for his/her performance in the course. It is the student’s responsibility to assure that a prerequisite has been met.

Registration Timetable and Priority

For currently enrolled students, registration for the fall and spring semesters occurs during or after week 10 of the prior term.

  • Students registered for the fall semester will register for the spring semester during fall semester.
  • Currently enrolled students will register for fall semester during spring semester.
  • Registration for summer classes will typically open during January of the same year.

Graduate students who are newly admitted for an upcoming semester will be eligible to register after currently enrolled students.

Eligibility to register for an upcoming term is based on a student’s account being in paid status. Students with any type of registration hold will be blocked from registering until the hold is cleared. The University reserves the right to refuse registration to a student who is failing to make satisfactory progress toward his or her degree.