Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

B.S. in Actuarial Science

Otterbein University Course Catalogs

2015-2016 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 24, 2024  
2015-2016 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Calendar
Fall and Spring Semesters
Cardinal Term
May Term
Summer Semester

Academic and Enrollment Standards
General Admission Requirements
International Students Admission Requirements
Credit Hour Definition
Academic Standing (requirements for continued enrollment)
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Program-Specific Policies
Plagiarism, Cheating and Dishonesty
The Appeals Process
Leave of Absence/Change of Catalog Year
Program Completion: Time Limit
Program Completion: Capstone Committees

Academic Support
Courtright Memorial Library
Academic Advising
Academic Support Center (and tutoring)
Center for Career and Professional Development
Office of Disability Services

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Grading System
Grade Symbols
In-Progress (IP) Grades
Grade Discrepancies (grade changes)
Transcript of Academic Work

Applying for a Degree

Grievance Procedures
Academic Appeals (Academic Council)

Registration Policies
Auditing Courses
Change of Schedule: add one or more classes
Change of Schedule: drop one or more classes but not all
Change of Schedule: drop (total withdrawal from) all classes
Enrollment Status Definition (full-time; half-time)
Registration Timetable and Priority

Academic Calendar

Fall and Spring Semesters
The academic year consists of two semesters and optional terms in December/January and May. The semesters are 16 weeks in length: 14 weeks of instruction with the remaining time consisting of breaks, holidays and an examination period.

Cardinal Term
Cardinal Term offers students an opportunity to concentrate on a single course not typically offered during a regular semester, to engage in a research project, or to participate in a travel course.

May Term
May Term offers students an opportunity to concentrate on a single course not typically offered during a regular semester, to engage in a research project, or to participate in a travel course.

Summer Semester
For students who wish to accelerate their studies, Otterbein offers a Summer Semester beginning in mid-May and ending in mid- August. Courses vary in length, but most are held over either a 7-week or a 14-week period. Summer Semester course offerings are announced in January at which time registration opens.

Academic and Enrollment Standards

General Admission Requirements

Admission to Graduate programs at Otterbein University is open to graduates from institutions of higher education that are fully accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agencies. While each program has its own admission criteria (approved by the University Graduate Committee), all programs require that candidates give evidence of the intellectual, academic and personal abilities to succeed in graduate studies. Admission shall not be denied on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, color, disability, sexual orientation, national/ethnic origin, political affiliation, marital or veteran status. If a student feels that a negative admission decision has been arrived at in a prejudiced or capricious manner, the student may appeal to the Graduate Academic Appeals Council. The Council hears student academic appeals and makes recommendations to the Dean of The Graduate School. After consideration by the Dean, a student may appeal the decision to the Provost of the University.

International Students Admission Requirements

If a student’s academic credentials are from an institution outside the United States, a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation of all postsecondary education must be provided. WES charges a fee for this service. WES details and instructions are available at their website: Foreign credential evaluations completed by other agencies must be approved by the director of Otterbein’s Center for International Education and Global Engagement. All contents of the student’s admission file become the legal property of the University and are not returnable or transferrable.

Application deadlines for International Students
February 1 - Summer Term
April 1 - Fall Term
November 1 - Spring Term

Language Requirements
TOEFL ibt = 79
TOEFL ppt = 550
IELTS = 6.5

A Graduate School representative serves on each of the departmental admission committees. All admission decisions are reported in writing to The Graduate School.

Credit Hour Definition
In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission’s Policy FDCR.A.10.020 and as an institution participating in TItle IV federal financial aid, Otterbein University’s assignment of credit hours conforms to the federally mandated definition of the credit hour, which is reprinted below:

A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified

by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates no less than: (1) one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other activities as established by an institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

This statement is also in compliance with the Ohio Board of Regents’ more specific definition:

One semester credit hour will be awarded for a minimum of 750 minutes of formalized instruction that typically requires students to work at out-of-class assignments an average of twice the amount of time as the amount of formalized instruction (1,500 minutes). It is acknowledged that formalized instruction may take place in a variety of modes. 

Academic Standing (requirements for continued enrollment)
Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 (B) cumulative average. Students will be placed on academic probation when the overall GPA falls below 3.0. If a student’s GPA for a semester falls below a 3.00, a review by The Graduate School office will be conducted and a decision regarding status will be made. Written notice of academic probation will be sent to students and their advisors. A student may be on probation only once during the program of study. A probationary period consists of up to two registered academic terms. Students must raise their GPA to 3.0 or above during the next two semesters of enrollment in required or elective courses. If the cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 a second time, the student will be dismissed from the program.

Grades of B-, C+, and C, while acceptable in meeting graduate degree requirements in some programs, are considered “marginal progress” outcomes. Any such outcome, or a GPA that falls below 3.0, or a Satisfactory Academic Progress rate that falls below expectations, warrants an academic advising conversation between the advisor and student, and possibly with the program chair or the Dean of The Graduate School. In some cases, students making marginal progress in selected courses may be required to repeat and achieve a grade of satisfactory progress in these select courses to continue in the program of study.

Through the advising process, the University may direct the student to improve graduate-level academic skills (e.g., through a formal study of writing or use of other academic support resources), to take a reduced academic load or to take other steps to promote academic success.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained in order to remain eligible for Federal Aid consideration. The Financial Aid Office evaluates SAP after the completion of each academic period (Summer, Fall, and Spring). All terms of enrollment, including Summer, must be considered in the determination of SAP (even periods in which the student did not receive federal student aid funds must be counted).

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree is determined by three tests:
1. Academic Standing, the appropriate GPA based upon credit hours as outlined above;
2. An undergraduate student’s successful completion of credit hours attempted; and
3. The completion of one’s degree within a reasonable time period.

Credit Hours Attempted versus Hours Earned: To maintain eligibility for federal student financial assistance, a student must successfully complete two-thirds (67%) of the credit hours attempted. Any course with a grade of “F” (failing), “W” (withdrawal), or “IP” (in progress) on the student’s academic transcript is considered an unsuccessful completion of hours attempted. Once the “IP” has been completed, the grade will stand as either successful or unsuccessful completion as mandated by the Federal Government.

Degree Completion: In addition to completing two-thirds of the credit hours attempted, a student must also complete his/her academic program within a reasonable timeframe, not to exceed 150% of the published length of the program. All periods of attendance are counted towards the maximum timeframe.

Since Academic Standing and SAP are interrelated, a student may meet an adequate Academic Standing level (higher than a 2.0 cumulative GPA, for example), but not meet SAP standards. If the student has not successfully completed enough classes (those classes with a “D” or above on the academic transcript) to meet the two-thirds (67%) earned hour rate, he or she would not be making SAP for federal financial aid purposes.

Graduate students are considered to be making SAP for purposes of financial aid eligibility only if they are in good academic standing with Otterbein.

The first time a student fails SAP they will be placed on warning. A student on warning status may receive one term of financial aid. If a student on warning fails SAP they may appeal his/her SAP and possibly receive one term of federal aid on probation. Student failing SAP may be required to submit a written plan signed off by a member of the Center for Student Success. The SAP Appeal form may be used for this purpose and is available in the Financial Aid Office or through the website in the forms section. SAP is administered by the Office of Financial Aid (614-823-1502).

Program-Specific Policies
In addition to the University academic standing policy outlined above, some programs may have grade policies that must also be satisfied in order to continue the program. Please refer to the program’s section of this catalog for any additional academic or grade specific requirements.

Plagiarism, Cheating and Dishonesty
It is necessary to ascertain with accuracy an individual’s strengths and weaknesses in order to prepare a proper academic program for students and to evaluate their work. Thus, the “high standard of personal integrity” in the classroom means that students will not receive credit for work which is not their own.

In the taking of examinations, any attempt to receive assistance from persons, papers, or printed materials without the permission of the faculty member constitutes dishonesty. This definition applies not only to activities within the examination room, but also any attempt to obtain beforehand copies of examination questions without the faculty member’s consent, including attempts to obtain them from students taking the exam at an earlier time during the year. In short, all such unauthorized activities constitute dishonesty. A student who willingly provides assistance not condoned by the University to another student is also in violation, whether or not the student providing the assistance has completed the examination.

In preparing essays, reports, and other out-of-class projects, any use of the words or ideas of someone else as though they were one’s own constitutes plagiarism. This definition applies to the use of both printed and unprinted sources, including the work of other students or faculty. To avoid plagiarism, all borrowed materials must be fully documented. Direct quotations, however short, must be placed in quotation marks or indented beyond the regular margins, and their sources must be clearly identified. Ideas or arguments not directly quoted but paraphrased must also be documented; merely altering the wording does not make their substance a student’s own work. Facts, formulas, and other types of information which are widely known and considered common knowledge in a field do not always require documentation, but a student may not falsely claim the independent derivation or observation of such materials, nor borrow without acknowledgment of someone else’s special arrangement or use of it. When in doubt, the student should consult a member of the faculty. If acceptable methods of documenting borrowed materials are not clear, the student is to consult beforehand with the faculty member who will receive the finished work.

The use of an identical or nearly identical piece of work to fulfill requirements in more than one course without the knowledge of the faculty members involved constitutes dishonesty. If a student wishes to prepare a single piece of work for more than one course, the written permission of both faculty members must be secured beforehand. If a student wishes to submit a revised version of an earlier piece of work, written permission must be secured beforehand and the earlier version must be submitted along with the final version. When in doubt, a student should check with the faculty member.

In addition to acts of plagiarism and cheating, acts of dishonesty include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Furnishing false information to any University official, faculty member or office.
  • Forgery, alteration or misuse of any University document, record or instrument of identification.
  • Falsification, distortion, or misrepresentation of information before a judicial body.

A faculty member who suspects the student may have committed an act of academic dishonesty shall meet with the student before the date that grades are due for the semester during which the incident took place to determine if academic misconduct has occurred and, if necessary, impose an appropriate sanction. If the faculty member determines that the misconduct was minor, the faculty member may provide appropriate counseling and have the student revise or entirely re-do the assignment. For minor academic misconduct, the faculty member will send a memo to the student briefly describing the misconduct, the counseling provided, and any follow-up steps required of the student. The faculty member will place a copy of this memo in the student’s departmental file and send a copy of the memo to The Graduate School.

If there is a second incident of significant academic misconduct, the Dean of The Graduate School shall appoint an ad hoc committee to consider the case within fifteen (15) business days. This committee shall include two graduate faculty members and one graduate student who do not have prior involvement with either incident and be chaired by the Dean or designee. This committee will verify that appropriate due process was employed in regard to the two incidents of academic misconduct and determine an appropriate consequence and make that recommendation to the Dean. The committee may decide to suspend the student for a semester or a year or to permanently dismiss the student from the program. Within fifteen (15) business days of a decision by the ad hoc committee to suspend or dismiss the student, the student may file an appeal to The Graduate Academic Appeals Council.

All credible accusations of academic misconduct will be taken seriously and will be investigated promptly, thoroughly, and fairly. All instructors shall notify, in writing and or/email, the Associate Dean of The Graduate School promptly upon learning, directly or indirectly, about any case of academic misconduct even in cases where the instructor intends to investigate and address a complaint directly.  The Graduate School shall keep records of all incidents of academic misconduct. Instructors will be informed of any previous incidents of academic misconduct when contact is made with The Graduate School.

A. Initiating a Complaint: A complaint may be initiated by an instructor who has reason to believe that academic misconduct has occurred. Complaints should be initiated promptly and no later than 30 days after the person knows or has reason to know of the alleged academic misconduct.
B. Action by Instructor: An instructor may investigate and address any complaint of academic misconduct in the instructor’s course or program. A decision by an instructor shall stand when the instructor has notified the student in writing and/or email of that decision. A student may appeal the instructor’s decision to the department chair.

A. An instructor may impose sanctions for academic misconduct that include, but are not limited to, oral and/or written reprimand, counseling, reduced or failing grades for specific assignments or the entire course or program, additional assignments or requirements relating to the course or program, or any combination thereof.
B. In addition to any sanctions imposed by an instructor, the Graduate School may impose sanctions for academic misconduct that include, but are not limited to, written reprimand, counseling, involuntary removal or withdrawal from the course, suspension, probation, terminations of assistantships, dismissal, notations on a student’s official records and transcript, revocation of academic honors or degrees, and any other appropriate sanction or combination thereof.
C. If there is a second incident of significant academic misconduct, the Dean of the Graduate School shall appoint an ad hoc committee to consider the case within fifteen (15) business days. The committee may decide to suspend the student for a semester or a year or to permanently dismiss the student from the program. Within fifteen (15) business days of a decision by the ad hoc committee to suspend or dismiss him/her, the student may file an appeal to The Graduate Academic Appeals Council.

The Appeals Process

  1. A graduate student may file an appeal once the student has completed the departmental student grievance process. Processes are found in department handbooks, the Graduate School Policy Handbook, and on the Otterbein web site. Departmental policies are required by the Ohio Administrative Code, Rule 4723-5-12. Students are first expected to express their views and try to resolve the conflict on an informal basis. Ample opportunities exist for students to express these views and concerns through individual and/or small group discussion.
    If an informal conversation does not resolve the academic conflict, students should follow the appropriate departmental policies. If students believe the outcome of the departmental process was prejudiced or capricious, students may file an appeal to the Graduate Academic Appeals Council.

    Departmental policies and processes contacts:
    Allied Health:  Contact the Department of Health & Sport Sciences at 823-3528
    Business:  Contact the Department of Business, Accounting & Economics at 823-1310
    Education:  Contact the Graduate Program Director, Department of Education at 823-1214
    Educational Mathematics:  Contact the Graduate Program Director, Department of Mathematical Sciences at 823-1218
    Nursing:  Contact the Department of Nursing at 823-1614
  2. Graduate Students may appeal two types of decisions - 1) those regarding grades, academic progression, and/or academic misconduct made within the Department according to each Department’s grievance policy, and 2) those decisions regarding academic standing made by the Dean of The Graduate School. Appeals for resolution of department policies or Dean’s decisions must be made to the Graduate Academic Appeals Council within fifteen (15) business days. The Graduate Committee oversees the Graduate Academic Appeals Council. Call The Graduate School at 614-823-3210 to request an appeal form and a hearing date and time.
    Appeals must be in writing and should include all facts and circumstances that have any bearing on the case together with all relevant documents, evidence, and names of witnesses.
  3. The evidence leading to the decision to be appealed shall be presented by the student in writing to the department chair and to The Graduate School within fifteen (15) business days of the department or Dean’s decision. The Associate Dean, in collaboration with the chair of the Graduate Academic Appeals Council, shall disseminate the information to the Council and set a meeting within fifteen (15) business days of receiving the appeal and all evidence. Pending action of the Graduate Academic Appeals Council, a student’s status shall not be altered, nor the right to be present on campus and attend classes suspended except for reasons relating to physical or emotional safety and the well-being of students, faculty/staff, or University property. The student will be informed in writing of the Graduate Academic Appeals Council decision within five business days of that decision. For more information or questions about an academic appeal, please contact The Graduate School at 823-1310.
  4. Procedure for Review by the Provost: A student has the right to submit a final appeal of a decision of the Graduate Academic Appeals Council to the Provost. A student requesting the Provost to review a decision must do so in writing (not through email) explaining the reason(s) within ten (10) days after receiving notification (in written form) of the decision by the Graduate Academic Appeals Council. At the Provost’s convenience, the appellant may be requested to appear. The Provost may also request an appearance by the chair of the Graduate Academic Appeals Council.

Leave of Absence/Change of Catalog Year
Students who interrupt their enrollment at Otterbein University or in an Otterbein University approved program for longer than 12 consecutive months must meet the requirements for graduation as published in the catalog at the time of re-enrollment.

Program Completion: Time Limit
After a student has been admitted to a graduate program, continuous progress toward completion of the degree is expected. The time limit for the completion of graduate course work is 5 years for the Master of Arts in Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, and Master of Business Administration programs. The time limit is 6 years for the Master of Science in Nursing and DNP programs, (except the Nurse Anesthesia program which has a 4 year time limit) and 3 years for the Post Masters in Nursing programs. The time limit is computed from the first date credit is recorded on the college transcript until the program curriculum requirements are completed. Extensions are only considered if there is adequate and unusual cause beyond the control of the student for failure to meet the time limit policy. Petitions requesting extension of the time limit must be submitted to the Graduate Program Director for the MAE, MAT, and MBA programs. Petitions requesting extension of the time limit for graduate Nursing programs must be submitted to the Department’s Curriculum Committee.

Consideration of petitions will take into account whether or not: 1) there is a reasonable plan for completion and 2) the individual’s knowledge and skills meet current program goals. If approved, an official letter that stipulates the terms of the extension will be sent to the student and his/her academic advisor, and a copy will be placed in the student’s file in the Graduate School office.

If a petition is denied, a student has the right to appeal the decision. After meeting with the Dean of The Graduate School, a student can request that Graduate Academic Appeals Council consider the appeal. If deemed appropriate, after consideration by the Council, a student may appeal the decision to the Provost of the University.

Program Completion: Capstone Committees
Graduate programs with a capstone requirement constitute committees to advise and evaluate final projects. Students should consult their advisor and their program’s student handbook for the specific function and composition of committees in their program. One individual on each capstone committee serves as the graduate program representative; the role of the representative is to ensure that all policies and procedures, approved by the University Graduate Committee and outlined in program handbooks, are followed. This individual must sign an official Capstone Approval Form before it is submitted to the Office of the Registrar and The Graduate School.

Academic Support

Courtright Memorial Library
The Courtright Memorial Library includes over 400,000 print and non-print materials to support the curricular and co-curricular needs of students, faculty and staff of Otterbein University. The library offers laptop computers, data projectors, digital cameras, digital camcorders and other equipment for checkout to the Otterbein University community. There are three computer labs located within the building and wireless connectivity is available throughout the library facility. The Otter Bean Café provides food, beverages, wireless connectivity and comfortable seating.

The library is a part of a consortium of 24 private colleges, called OPAL. OPAL provides a shared online catalog, circulation, reserve, and cataloging system. Membership in OPAL allows Otterbein to belong to the statewide consortium called OhioLINK, a consortium of 88 Ohio college and university libraries. OhioLINK offers access to more than 47.6 million library items statewide, more than 140 electronic research databases and over 12,000 electronic journals. All these resources can be accessed through the college network or internet providers from computer labs, homes, offices or dormitories. Through OhioLINK membership, students, faculty, and staff may request materials from other Ohio academic libraries, either electronically or by visiting that library. Any items not owned by another Ohio academic library can be obtained through resource sharing agreements via Interlibrary Loan. Membership in OhioLINK also provides access to a growing number of electronic resources, including indexes (such as Academic Search Complete, Business Source Complete, Lexis-Nexis, ERIC, Medline, and Cinahl), electronic journals and electronic books.

The library staff strives to provide the best service possible to help students, faculty, staff and community users find the information they require. Reference assistance is available both in the library and remotely. Please contact us by visiting the library, or by phone, email or instant messaging.

Information about the library is available at

Academic Advising
Students are assigned a faculty member as their academic advisor. The advising process is an ongoing series of consultations between the student and the advisor. This advisor will help the student with decisions concerning courses and class scheduling. Advising involves both the development and communication of accurate information regarding degree programs, courses, resources, academic policies/procedures and career opportunities intended to help students in achieving their educational goals. Both the advisee and the advisor share the responsibility of being active participants in the advising process. However, the student is responsible for making decisions regarding personal and educational goals and satisfying all graduation requirements.

Academic Support Center

Through individual instruction and collaborative learning, the Academic Support Center (ASC) helps students develop and strengthen the skills necessary to attain their academic goals.  All ASC services are free of charge for Otterbein students. The ASC: offers courses in  College Reading & Study Strategies and Argumentative Writing; coordinates course-specific academic support via Content Area Tutoring, the Math Lab, the Writing Center, and Supplemental Instruction; provides academic counseling related to learning, time management,  organization, and study strategies; and, hires, trains, and supervises peer tutors who possess strong content knowledge, study strategies, and communication skills.

The ASC serves a wide range of students: students struggling academically, students in need of accommodations, and high-achieving students wanting to learn more effectively. Students are encouraged to contact the ASC if they have concerns related to their learning,  academic progress, or course work. For nursing students with English as a second language, please refer to the Nursing Department Policy for extra time on examinations.

The ASC also coordinates the University’s Disability Services program. Disability Services provides classroom accommodations, such as testing accommodations, note-taking assistance, and alternative media, to students with documented disabilities including learning  disabilities, ADHD, physical disabilities, medical disorders, visual and hearing impairments, psychiatric disorders, and temporary diagnoses. The ASC is located on the second floor of Courtright Memorial Library.  For additional information, please contact a member of the ASC staff at 614.823.1610 or visit our website:

Center for Career and Professional Development
The Center for Career and Professional Development provides services and resources related to all phases of the career development process. We pride ourselves on providing comprehensive, individualized advising that includes self-assessment, career exploration, resume/cover letter development, interviewing preparation, professional networking opportunities, and job search strategies. Contact the Center for Career and Professional Development at 614-823-1456, or visit us online at

Office of Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) works closely with qualified students with disabilities to ensure they have equal access to an education and campus life.  ODS provides student access through services, accommodations, and advocacy, as specified in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.

ODS serves all Otterbein students with documented disabilities including learning disabilities, ADHD, physical disabilities, medical disorders, visual and hearing impairments, psychiatric disorders, and temporary diagnoses.  Some of the accommodations provided by ODS may include testing accommodations, note-taking assistance, alternative media, priority registration, interpreting services, and residence hall accommodations.  All ODS services are free of charge for Otterbein students.

In order to receive accommodations, students must provide ODS with appropriate documentation.  For documentation guidelines or additional information, please contact a member of the ODS staff at 614.823.1610 or visit our website:

ODS is located on the second floor of Courtright Memorial Library and is part of the Academic Support Center.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights in connection with educational records maintained at Otterbein University.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Otterbein University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the records(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

It the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Otterbein University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Otterbein University who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Otterbein University.
The University reserves the right to notify parents or guardians of “dependent” students, regardless of the student’s age or status, of conduct in health and safety emergencies, hospitalization, or where in the University’s judgment the health or well-being of the student, or others, is, or may be at risk.

4. Students, parents, and foreign government agencies supporting dependent students have access rights to the educational records maintained about them during their enrollment.
a. “Dependent” means being listed as such on the parents’ annual federal income tax statement, or (in the case of foreign students) receiving at least 50 percent or more of their support from parents or foreign government agencies.
b. Students who are independent of their parents must file an annual statement by September 30 to this effect on a form available in the Student Affairs office.
c. Non-immigrant foreign students have agreed to give the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) access to certain information as is outlined on the non-immigrant’s form I-20 (page 2) or DS-2019 (page 2). Records pertaining to these students and documents are maintained in the Center for International Education and Global Engagement.

5. Certain educational records exempt from this access are as follows:
a. Records in the sole possession of a professor, physician, counselor, psychologist or the law enforcement unit of Otterbein University.
b. Parental financial statements, and
c. Recommendations for which the student has waived rights of access.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in 99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, 99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student -

  • To other school officials, including teachers, with Otterbein University whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of 99.34. (99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U. S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the University’s State-supported educational programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of 99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to 99.36. (99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under 99.37. (99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of 99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (99.31(a)(13))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (99.31(a)(15))

6. “Directory Information” can be furnished without the students’ permission and is listed below:
a. Name
b. Address - campus and home
c. Telephone numbers - campus, home, and/or cell phone
d. E-mail address - campus
e. Campus SMC number
f. Enrollment type
g. Date and place of birth
h. Field of study
i. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
j. Dates of attendance at Otterbein University
k. Degrees and awards received while attending Otterbein University
l. Most recent educational agency or institution attended by students
m. Weight and height of members of athletic teams
n. Photograph
o. High school of student
p. Greek affiliation
q. Class rank of student
r. SID can be displayed on Student ID Card

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Otterbein University to comply with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Grading System

Grade Symbols
Graduate education is a process of academic exploration reserved for students who are committed to the high level of work demanded by a master’s degree program. Graduate students are, therefore, held to a higher standard of achievement than undergraduate students. In order to reflect the minimum levels of achievement necessary to award a graduate degree, the grading scales are considerably different than those applied to undergraduates. Specifically, for graduate courses, “A” level work is exemplary, “B” level work is satisfactory, and “B-” or below work does not meet expectations. Grading policies specific to each program are described in the online graduate catalog.

Each student can access his/her grades at the end of the term online via Self-Service Banner at A permanent transcript of all course work attempted and grades earned is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

The following grades from letter-graded courses are included in the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). The numeric equivalents to the letter grades are displayed with the % symbol.

A 4.0 100-93% exceptional
A- 3.7 92-90% excellent
B+ 3.3 89-87% above average
B 3.0 86-83% above average
B- 2.7 82-80% above average
C+ 2.3 79-77% average
C 2.0 76-73% average
C- 1.7 72-70% below average
D+ 1.3 69-67% below average
D 1.0 66-60% below average
F 0.0 under 60% failure

The following grades are not included in the calculation of the GPA:

AU audit
F failure from pass/fail graded course
IP coursework incomplete (in-progress); temporary condition
NR grade not reported by instructor; temporary condition
P pass from pass/fail graded course
R repeated course
T transfer credit from another institution
W withdrawal

In-Progress (IP) Grades
“IP” is the temporary symbol given when course requirements have not been met due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. An incomplete grade should only be considered when the majority of the work required for the course has already been finished. The pressures of a normal academic load or the desire to do extra work in the course are not sufficient reasons for granting an incomplete.

The amount of additional time permitted might be no more than a few days or weeks since it should be proportional to the student’s illness or absence, etc. while remaining fair to others who were enrolled in the course. The IP must be completed no later than the following applicable deadline or sooner if prescribed by the instructor: for Fall IP’s, the last day of the Spring classes; for Cardinal Term classes, the last day of Spring classes; for Spring, May Term and Summer IP’s, the last day of Fall classes.

Due to extraordinary circumstances, an IP completion deadline may be considered for extension. To receive consideration, the student (not the instructor) must submit a written request/rationale to the Dean of the Graduate School no later than the seventh Friday of the term the IP is due for completion.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to arrange for completion of the work, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to submit the final grade. If no grade is received, the default grade previously provided by the instructor will be assigned.

Grade Discrepancies (grade changes)
Grades submitted to the Office of the Registrar are considered final unless (1) evidence of an error can be presented, or (2) the student is convinced that academic performance was evaluated on other than an academic basis or in a prejudiced or capricious manner. Grades may not be changed by arranging to complete additional work or by meeting criteria not in accord with those applied to all other students enrolled in the course.

To appeal a grade, the student must consult with the instructor (or the department chairperson when the instructor is away from campus) no later than the following applicable deadline: for Fall and January Term grades, the end of Week Four of Spring Semester; for Spring and Summer grades, the end of Week Four of Fall Semester. Resolution and submission of the revised grade to the Office of the Registrar must occur by the end of those respective semesters. Signatures of both the instructor and the instructor’s department chairperson are required to change a grade.

When a grading issue cannot be resolved through discussions with the instructor or department chairperson, the student may present evidence in writing to the Dean of The Graduate School indicating an error, the prejudicial basis, or the capricious manner used in evaluating his or her performance. In all cases, this step must be taken no later than five business days beyond the applicable 4th week deadline indicated in the previous paragraph. The Dean shall consult with the student and instructor after which the appeal may be passed on to the Graduate Academic Appeals Council for its consultation and judgment. The actual grade change, if deemed in order by the Council, shall be determined by the Dean of The Graduate School in consultation with the student and the instructor involved (or the applicable Department Chairperson if the instructor is unavailable).

Transcript of Academic Work
Copies of official transcripts may be obtained for a nominal fee from the Office of the Registrar. An official transcript cannot be provided when there is an outstanding bill or a loan in default. Requests are filled within five business days. Order forms are available on campus or on the Office of the Registrar’s website,


Applying for a Degree
Degrees are granted at the end of Summer, Fall and Spring Semesters. Students planning to graduate must request a Graduation Application at the Office of the Registrar one term prior to the term in which the degree is to be completed. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this requirement, to initiate the request and to sign/return the application on time.

The Graduate commencement ceremony is held in May and all graduates (Summer, Fall and Spring) are invited to participate. To participate, a student must:

  • complete all academic degree requirements, and
  • submit a completed Graduation Application, and
  • submit any additional paperwork as required in the Graduation Application, and
  • meet all outstanding financial obligations.

Detailed information about the commencement ceremony is available at any time on the Office of the Registrar’s website,

Grievance Procedures

Academic Appeals (The Graduate Academic Appeals Council)
Through The Graduate Academic Appeals Council, which is a standing committee of the University Senate, an avenue for appealing academic policies is provided all students. Details regarding the appeal process are available from The Graduate School and are listed under The Appeals Process of this catalog.

Registration Policies

Auditing Courses
The Graduate School permits students to audit classes. Currently matriculated students may obtain an audit approval form online. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the course instructor and obtain his or her signature on the form. Once the form is completed and signed by both the instructor and the student, the student must submit the form to The Graduate School. The instructor has the discretion to deny the audit request. The Office of the Registrar will determine whether there is room in the class and that necessary prerequisites are met. While no credit is given for auditing a course, a grade of AU will appear on the transcript record. An audit may not be substituted for a required class. The required class must be taken for credit. Auditing students are not permitted to take clinical classes, or courses involving significant technology, etc. The audit form is located on The Graduate School website.

If a non-matriculated student wishes to audit a graduate class, all of the above conditions, procedures and restrictions apply. A transcript (unofficial is sufficient) or a diploma copy showing receipt of a Bachelor’s degree must accompany the audit approval form

Change of Schedule: add one or more classes
For Fall and Spring Semesters, the deadline for adding a class that begins in the same semester is the second Friday of the semester. Deadlines for courses that are shorter than the usual 14 week semester (including Summer Semester, Cardinal Term and May Term) are published on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Change of Schedule: drop one or more classes but not all
Students who wish to drop one or more classes that began in the same semester but retain a partial schedule must follow these deadlines:

  • Friday of Week 5; the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript
  • Friday of Week 9; a grade of W will be recorded on the student’s transcript

After Friday of Week 9, withdrawal is not permitted and whatever grade is assigned by the instructor will be recorded on the transcript.

Deadlines for courses that are shorter than the usual 14 week semester (including Summer Semester, Cardinal Term and May Term) are published on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Change of Schedule: drop (total withdraw from) all classes
Students who wish to withdraw from all classes that began in the same semester must officially withdraw from the University by completing a withdrawal form at the Office of the Registrar or faxing a letter requesting withdrawal to the Office of the Registrar 614-823-1009. The date of withdrawal is the date the notice is received by the Registrar. If a student never attends any classes or stops attending without officially withdrawing, the registration will not terminate. Grades will be assigned under the grading criteria used to evaluate all students in each course and the student will be responsible for all fees and tuition charges for the class or classes. Nonattendance and/or nonpayment of fees do not constitute official withdrawal.

It is the responsibility of the student to make certain that the written notice of withdrawal reaches the Office of the Registrar by these deadlines:

  • Friday of Week 5; the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript
  • Friday of Week 9; a grade of W will be recorded on the student’s transcript

After Friday of Week 9, withdrawal is not permitted and whatever grade is assigned by the instructor will be recorded on the transcript.

Deadlines for courses that are shorter than the usual 14 week semester (including Summer Semester, Cardinal Term and May Term) are published on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Enrollment Status Definition (full-time; half-time)
Full-time graduate course load is defined as 6 semester hours. Half-time is defined as 3 semester hours. Graduate students will be charged a per-credit-hour rate for graduate level courses regardless of the number of hours carried. Graduate students enrolled at least half-time are eligible for financial aid.

Prerequisites (prereq) or corequisites (coreq) are requirements which are judged necessary for the successful completion of a course. Students who register for a course without taking the prerequisite or corequisite are subject to being withdrawn from the course by the instructor or the Registrar.
Waiver of the prerequisites for a course is generally discouraged but may be done occasionally on a case-by-case basis. This waiver may be granted only by the instructor of the course after that instructor’s assessment of the specific student’s history and experiences. Prior to granting the waiver, the instructor must be reasonably assured that the student has had courses, background experiences, or abilities which would generally be equivalent to, or serve to negate the necessity of, the prerequisites. The instructor must also be reasonably assured that the student will not be at an educational disadvantage compared to students who have completed the prerequisites. Waiver of a prerequisite by the instructor does not, expressly or by implication, constitute a representation or assurance of the successful completion of the course. The student remains fully responsible for his/her performance in the course. It is the student’s responsibility to assure that a prerequisite has been met.

Registration Timetable and Priority
New students register for classes just prior to the term in which they enroll. Currently enrolled students typically register for the entire forthcoming academic year during the preceding Spring. The University reserves the right to refuse registration to a student who is failing to make satisfactory progress toward his or her degree.