Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

B.S. in Actuarial Science

Otterbein University Course Catalogs

2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Sep 27, 2021  
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Adult Undergraduate Admission

Eligibility, Admission and Registration
Payment Plans and Financial Aid
General Information

Otterbein designs to meet the unique needs and special interests of adult learners. Some students are seeking to finish their degrees while others are beginning college for the first time. Many are interested in new careers or promotions, while others enroll in courses for personal enrichment rather than seeking a degree. With most students having family, career, personal, and community commitments, there is a need to fit their education into a variety of schedules. Otterbein offers flexible scheduling through day, evening and online/hybrid classes. Students can select from a variety of courses, fit those courses within one or more study options, and determine the rate they want to move through their program.

Otterbein provides a variety of services that have been designed with the adult learner in mind:

  • admissions and registration
  • advising for new and currently enrolled students
  • assistance with financial aid
  • a strong transfer program
  • a variety of fee payment plans

Small classes, flexible scheduling, individual attention, accessibility, and a reputation for academic excellence all contribute to a rewarding experience at Otterbein. For more information, or to find out how you can begin your experience at Otterbein, call 614-823-1356 or go to


Otterbein offers the following undergraduate degrees:

  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
  • Bachelor of Music (B.MUS.)
  • Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.)

Eligibility, Admissions and Registration

Admission is based upon the following criteria:

  1. be at least 23 years of age or older
  2. if you are under 23 years of age, you may seek admission if you have completed a two year college program, or if you have not been enrolled in high school or college for at least two years,
  3. a minimum of a 2.0 G.P.A. for all previous college work or a 2.5 G.P.A. for a high school diploma or that a GED has been earned.

Each applicant is considered on an individual basis; applicants whose past academic work has been marginally successful will be considered and may be accepted on a conditional basis.

Application Procedure

  1. Complete the application. Applications are available at
  2. Submit official transcripts from all previous post-secondary schools attended. If you have 12 or fewer credit hours, also include your official high school or GED transcript. If your academic credentials are from an institution outside the United States, you are required to provide a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation of all post-secondary education. WES charges a fee of approximately $125 for this service, and Otterbein will reimburse you when one term of enrollment has been completed. For WES details and instructions, visit their website at
  3. Make an appointment with an advisor to discuss your academic and career plans.
  4. Application deadlines are generally 10 days prior to the semester in which you wish to enroll. Please forward all application materials to: Office of Adult and Transfer Enrollment Services, 1 South Grove Street, Otterbein University, Westerville, OH 43081. Direct questions to: 614-823-1356.
  5. You must be accepted for admission before you can register for classes.


Regular Status
The student is admitted as fully qualified to pursue a program leading to a degree. No conditions apply.

Conditional Status
Under certain conditions, you may be admitted if you do not meet the basic eligibility requirements. If your prior academic record was marginally successful, you may be accepted provided you receive and maintain a 2.0 G.P.A. in all classes during your first 8 hours of enrollment. At that time, your record will be reviewed to determine if you will be admitted with regular status. Based upon the admission decision, other conditions may apply, depending on individual circumstance.

Non-Degree Status
Applicants seeking University credit but are not pursuing a degree may do so by providing proof of prior education such as an official high school or college transcript. Should you later choose to pursue a degree, you must provide official transcripts from all prior post-secondary schools. Instructor permission may be needed for classes requiring prerequisites.

Transient Status
Students pursuing a degree at another college or university who wish to earn credit for transfer to that institution may be admitted for a maximum of two semesters. An official transcript from the home institution is required with the application. Instructor permission may be needed for classes requiring prerequisites.

Former Students
Otterbein Students who have been out less than one year do not need to reapply, but may go directly to Self Service Banner and register. Former students who have been out for one year or more must complete a new admission application (no fee required). Former students who attended another institution after leaving Otterbein must, in addition to reapplying, submit an official transcript of all courses taken. After being readmitted, former students then can register for classes.

A former student who has been required to withdraw must write to the appropriate council (Academic Council or Judicial Council) presenting his/her case for readmission. In addition to petitioning the appropriate council, students who have been out for one year or more must also complete a new admission application.

Students must be admitted to Otterbein University before they can register for classes. Students may register online or submit a registration form to the Office of Adult and Transfer Enrollment Services or the Registrar’s Office. It is recommended that new students meet with an academic advisor to register for the first time.

Payment Plans and Financial Aid

In recognition of the fact that many adult students must carefully plan their finances to manage a household budget, Otterbein offers two convenient payment plans. Both plans are an alternative to paying fees in full by the first day of each term. If you choose to use one of these plans, please make arrangements before the beginning of the semester. MasterCard, Visa, and Discover are accepted.

  1. Three-Part Payment Plan
    You may divide your tuition into three payments. At least one third of your tuition will be due by the first day of class. The remaining balance will be payable in two payments due one month apart. There is a $30 quarterly handling charge for this payment option.
  1. Deferred Payment Plan
    If you qualify for your company’s tuition reimbursement program, this plan will allow you to defer most of your tuition until the end of the semester. There is a $35 quarterly service charge for this payment option.

To help you meet the costs of a college education, you may wish to apply for financial aid. Assistance paying for college expenses may be available to you through loans, grants, and/or work-study opportunities. Because the availability of certain forms of financial aid is limited, prospective students are encouraged to make application as early as possible by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the University’s Institutional Aid Form. The FAFSA form is available online at

Transfer Student Scholarships
Transfer students interested in academic scholarships should refer to the Bridge Scholarships listed in the financial assistance section of this catalog.

General Information

Otterbein offers adults services designed to enhance their educational experience. Advisors are available to explain Otterbein’s academic degree programs, the application process and to assist students in registering for their classes. Adult students receive a curriculum plan of study for their academic program, information regarding institutional policies, transfer credit evaluations, financial aid, and campus events and services. Meeting with an advisor provides students the opportunity to develop an educational plan that supports and encourages the student to meet their personal and professional goals.

Full-time versus Part-time Status
You may attend Otterbein as a part-time or full-time student. Full-time students may take 12-18 hours of academic credit per semester. Tuition for full-time students is figured from a base rate per semester. All full-time students have access to the University’s peripheral services. These services include use of the Clements Recreation Center, free tickets to theatre, athletic and artist series events, use of the Health Service, and participation in student activities, intramural and athletics.

Part-time students may take up to 11 hours of academic credit per semester. As a part-time student, you will pay a tuition rate per semester hour. Your total part-time tuition is figured by multiplying the number of semester hours you are taking times the current part-time tuition rate. This reduced rate is made possible because a number of peripheral services are not available without charge to part-time students. Students should contact the Student Affair’s Office 614-823-1250 to verify the services available when attending Otterbein part-time.